Distance Between Appliances

8 Replies

I have a newbie question and it's about my own place on the ground floor of a three family building I own, built in 1890 in urban Northeast USA.

The space has a good sized pantry off a large kitchen.   At the time the house was built, meal prep, clean up and storage was in the pantry.

My plan is to take out the lower drawers and cabinet in the pantry and put in a dishwasher, a washing machine and a dryer.    The dishwasher will be next to the sink already there, then the washer, and then the dryer venting outside.   I will have room to leave space between the appliances if that is needed, but I'd rather not.   My long range plan is to take out the tall window next to the end of this row of future appliances and put in a door directly outside and I want all the space there, at the end of the row.  (I think the window is big enough to just put in a door, but dogs and people need space.   There is plenty of space in front of the door, which will open out, but it will work better with more space to the side, where the appliances will be.)  Currently, my two doors lead to too many doors to get out (four at each end).    I want a regular door, which opens to let my dogs out and for me to go out and play with them.

So, my question is about appliance clearance, so I can put all the space by the future door.  Any advice on what to do?

All regular dishwashers need exactly 24 inches. Laundry we usually leave 30 inches for each. Gives you wiggle room to get them in place. Laundry appliances vary in width but 30 inches is the rule of thumb. Make sure you have a 30 inch wide door to get them in.

Thanks for the reply.   I actually had the sizes already but was unsure about the space needed between them.  LG makes a good sized narrow washer, and someone else has a narrow dryer.

For example, once when I put a new dishwasher in another kitchen, the Maytag guy insisted on a wall between the dishwasher and the stove it was next to.  There is no stove issue here, but it dawned on me I don't know about clearance issues next to appliances.

Don't forget the space needed behind the appliances for proper installation and hook up to electricity, water, venting. Also, some appliances vibrate more than others. Perhaps install some padding between them if they are side by side.

Here's a general laundry room tip... Get a block of wood (4 x 4 x 12) and cut it into two 6 inch lengths. Lay these behind the washer and behind the dryer from wall to appliance. This will allow a 6 inch clearance behind the appliances to accommodate the utility hoses and venting. With the blocks in place, the appliances can't be pushed back too far and your vents/hoses won't get mangled. Also, this allows for vibration movement and will make it easier to vacuum behind.

Thanks for the tips Marcia!   I appreciate it!   I have a new washing machine somewhere else and the vibration is crazy.

Since you are worried about the room around the appliances, have you thought of using a stacked set?  I've never really dealt with them personally, but notice them being utilized on the design shows for small spaces. 

In general the accepted answer is you need space for efficiency between hot and cold appliances. Eg, space between dishwasher or stove and fridge. Washer and dryer need essentially no space in between. 

The dishwasher end cap should be enough space seperating that and the washer/dryer. 

I couldn't follow your layout description. 

I'd consider changing it. Sink and dishwasher in the pantry room seems odd to me. 

That being said, to answer your original question concisely: a few inches is fine. 

If you have an HVAC supply near you - purchase four vibration eliminator pads - get the cork center ones.  And put a 3" or 4" pad under each of the washer feet.

Originally posted by @Kate B. :

Thanks for the tips Marcia!   I appreciate it!   I have a new washing machine somewhere else and the vibration is crazy.

Thanks Stephen!  I'll try that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you