• Investor
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
Distance Between Appliances

Kate B.
  • Investor
  • Albany, NY
Posted Feb 19 2015, 05:15

I have a newbie question and it's about my own place on the ground floor of a three family building I own, built in 1890 in urban Northeast USA.

The space has a good sized pantry off a large kitchen.   At the time the house was built, meal prep, clean up and storage was in the pantry.

My plan is to take out the lower drawers and cabinet in the pantry and put in a dishwasher, a washing machine and a dryer.    The dishwasher will be next to the sink already there, then the washer, and then the dryer venting outside.   I will have room to leave space between the appliances if that is needed, but I'd rather not.   My long range plan is to take out the tall window next to the end of this row of future appliances and put in a door directly outside and I want all the space there, at the end of the row.  (I think the window is big enough to just put in a door, but dogs and people need space.   There is plenty of space in front of the door, which will open out, but it will work better with more space to the side, where the appliances will be.)  Currently, my two doors lead to too many doors to get out (four at each end).    I want a regular door, which opens to let my dogs out and for me to go out and play with them.

So, my question is about appliance clearance, so I can put all the space by the future door.  Any advice on what to do?

Loading replies...