well water stain removal

5 Replies

I have a shower base that has stains from the well water.   The water had some sulfer smell to it whixh sounds likes it may have also had iron from what i read.  Tts a orange brown color.  Tried lemon juice and vinegar something i read online and it did nothing.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Not sure what shower base is made of almost looks likes quartz.

i am too newbie to attach a photo sucessfully so heres a link to the picture http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/jjtokarz/Mobile%20Uploads/1424656137723_zpsc4b9d679.jpg

@John T.  

Usually the smell of sulfur (fried eggs) is from iron.  You can also have rust. There are many commercial chemicals that can help, such as CLR.  Your local hardware store should have plenty to choose from and may require lots of elbow grease.  If the stains are too imbedded, you may have to replace shower base.  The thing is how to stop it from re-occurring? Has the well been checked? Make sure you don't have a bad pressure tank, or bad piping. If all this is well, (no pun intended :0) ) a water filter coming in from the well to the house would be helpful to capture some of the iron or other minerals before they enter your house plumbing system.

Hope it works out good!

I have tested the water it is ok to drink but smell comes when the stuff apparently gets worse in the water heater.  I have already implemented a filter system to remove the iron, just am now trying to get the stain removed from the shower base.  I'll try the CLR.  I really will have to come up with a creative solution if I cant remove the stain as the rest of the house is a few days from completion and the shower surround tile/glass door etc are already in place.

I use this and it works 

http://www.snowcapproducts.com/products.htm

I've only used it outside and it works even better with sunlight.  I've removed well water stains on concrete, metal, vinyl, and other surfaces by simply spraying it out of a pump sprayer.

If you haven't joined your local reia, I'd recommend it. A fellow at our local meet specializes in removing stains and refurbishing on tubs you don't want to replace. Quite amazing results! You never know who you'll find at the meetings. I agree with Tonia, root cause?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you