Best Water Heater Blankets? or make your own?

3 Replies

I have a few properties with water heaters that are in relatively uninsulated spaces (utility rooms, garage, crawlspace, etc) and I want to insulate them with a "jacket".  What are the best (most cost effective) products people here have had success with?

When you put your hand on the sides of the units - do they feel warm to the touch?  If not;  they are probably not losing enough heat to make insulating them worthwhile.

stephen
--------------

Originally posted by @Andrew S. :

I have a few properties with water heaters that are in relatively uninsulated spaces (utility rooms, garage, crawlspace, etc) and I want to insulate them with a "jacket".  What are the best (most cost effective) products people here have had success with?

Originally posted by @Stephen S. :
When you put your hand on the sides of the units - do they feel warm to the touch?  If not;  they are probably not losing enough heat to make insulating them worthwhile.

Thanks Stephen - yes, they do feel warm, so I'm sure I have some losses.  Any suggestions for specific products/approaches?
The standard WH insulating blankets which are commonly sold in plumbing and hard ware stores are maybe 1" fiberglass with a vinyl jacket.  I don't like fiberglass, not in principle and not in use, so it it were me I would use the bubble wrap which is sold for air duct insulation.  I think it's about R-4 so maybe three layers.

On a gas unit keep the bottom combustion air inlets open and do not block the draft hood openings on the top.

For myself I would probably glue on 1" sheet Rubatex insulation and make a nice industrial-looking job out of it. <g>

stephen
---------------

Originally posted by @Andrew S. :
Originally posted by @Stephen S.:

Thanks Stephen - yes, they do feel warm, so I'm sure I have some losses.  Any suggestions for specific products/approaches?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here