Best Water Heater Blankets? or make your own?

3 Replies

I have a few properties with water heaters that are in relatively uninsulated spaces (utility rooms, garage, crawlspace, etc) and I want to insulate them with a "jacket".  What are the best (most cost effective) products people here have had success with?

When you put your hand on the sides of the units - do they feel warm to the touch?  If not;  they are probably not losing enough heat to make insulating them worthwhile.

stephen
--------------

Originally posted by @Andrew S. :

I have a few properties with water heaters that are in relatively uninsulated spaces (utility rooms, garage, crawlspace, etc) and I want to insulate them with a "jacket".  What are the best (most cost effective) products people here have had success with?

Originally posted by @Stephen S. :
When you put your hand on the sides of the units - do they feel warm to the touch?  If not;  they are probably not losing enough heat to make insulating them worthwhile.

Thanks Stephen - yes, they do feel warm, so I'm sure I have some losses.  Any suggestions for specific products/approaches?
The standard WH insulating blankets which are commonly sold in plumbing and hard ware stores are maybe 1" fiberglass with a vinyl jacket.  I don't like fiberglass, not in principle and not in use, so it it were me I would use the bubble wrap which is sold for air duct insulation.  I think it's about R-4 so maybe three layers.

On a gas unit keep the bottom combustion air inlets open and do not block the draft hood openings on the top.

For myself I would probably glue on 1" sheet Rubatex insulation and make a nice industrial-looking job out of it. <g>

stephen
---------------

Originally posted by @Andrew S. :
Originally posted by @Stephen S.:

Thanks Stephen - yes, they do feel warm, so I'm sure I have some losses.  Any suggestions for specific products/approaches?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you