Funky smell deodorizer

10 Replies

Never fails that after a tenant leaves there is a weird smell...

I know new carpets and paint help, but I want a more budge friendly option.

Thanks in-advance!

cc @Brandon Turner  

If it's a pet smell we've had good luck with 'Nature's Miracle' from PetSmart...dump & mop on hardwood floors, mix in carpet cleaner for carpets...

ozone generator. You can purchase or rent. Turn it on near the air return , turn fan to On position, close the house up and let it run for a few days and it will eliminate most odors. 

Updated over 3 years ago

And NO Chemicals used!

I've had the best luck buying cleaning supplies like this from a local Hotel/Janitorial Supply company. They deal with this stuff a lot and know the best stuff to use! 

Ozone Machine, Duct Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning and depending what caused the smell, you may have to at least paint one coat over all the walls and ceilings. If you used Satin or Semi-Gloss paint then you should be able to wash all the wall, ceiling and other surfaces through out the house.

I baking soda on carpets or carpet freshener with baking soda leave it on a day or two

Plain vinager to wipe over surfaces and set out some in a bowl in funky closets

You can wash drapes curtains in two cups of it after you dry them it don't smell

Also worked on several coats I left in an unused closet  used two cups and it removed musty smell.

Rainbow vacuums are a great investment. You can also detach their well and leave it running to deodorize the air.

Odoban

ozone machine, fresh paint and these.. http://www.amazon.com/Big-Fire-After-Aerosol-Fogge...

Put a few of these in your house and it will kill most of the odors, if it is pet odor in the carpet the only real way to kill that is new carpet and padding and sometimes if it is bad enough have to seal the floor under the carpet

Wash all of the surfaces in the home with bleach or vinegar, or pet odor remover if there is pet spray. Clean the carpets and mop the floors.

I got a used Ozone generator on eBay and it is worth every penny.  I bought it several years ago and I use it pretty often in rentals and in my own house.  Not only do they get rid of odors but they kill insects as well.  The key is getting one that is strong enough to produce a high concentration of ozone.  A "air freshener" will not put out enough to be effective at eliminating odors and kill insects.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here