What would you do ?

9 Replies

Hello-

I just bought this house and want to redo the bathroom. But there is a window when I want to bring th shower over . I was wanting about removing the bathtub since I never take baths and there is one in the hall bathroom. I could put cabinets below the window.. 

I want to make the shower bigger but am concerned about water and a window.

Leave it. You are fixing something that is not broken.

@Brennan Utt 

Hi Brennan.

I agree with @Jonathan Key The bath in your picture looks functional and it is a good feature to have a separate shower and tub in a wash room.  Depending on your plans for this house, look for ways to add value to the property without over improving for the area.  Is the kitchen up to date?  What is the flooring type?  Is there any deferred maintenance tha requires attention?  The money you do not need to spend could be used for another project or put toward something you really want.

I hope this has helped you to take a second look at your overall plan for your investment. 

I would charge the neighbors.... you live in vegas... people there love paying for shows. :) 

You say you just bought the house? How long ago? My suggestion is wait 6months to a year and see if you're still interested in redoing the bathroom then. I think it's human nature to want to put our mark on things when we first get them so make sure it's not you wanting to do it just to do it. 

It looks good at is so unless you really really want to change it I'd leave it, it seems functional.

I would leave it too. Looks fine. Seems like a waste of money to touch it from the pictures.

Thank you for the responses. 

I just purchased the house yesterday.I plan on redoing most of the house as we will be living in it for a couple years and I feel like I can get my return on my investment. I will be redoing the bathrooms kitchen and flooring. I would like to get most of the construction done before I move in .I don't like the look of it now and am just trying to decide if it's going to be worth spending the $ to have that walk in shower look with New tile. 

Thanks 

If you want to remove the tub, I'd make the shower the entire length of that wall (or close to it).  You can replace the window with glass block (to avoid giving free peep shows to the neighbors) or get rid of it.

Personally, I think many buyers like both tub and shower in the master, so consider just leaving it, unless you really would prefer the shower for yourself.

install a corner tub if space permits, remove the whole window and frame in the shower side and install a smaller window on the bath side and extend the shower section over to the new window. edited the picture isn't the best im not an artist or photo editor, but here it is..

I am going to go with the crowd and say that you should consider leaving the tub right where it is and maybe use the money you are saving to add equity somewhere else in the house that actually needs it. IF you are dead set on extending the shower then I would agree with @Robert Swingle  . When you pull that window out and re-frame it maybe you should consider using different dimensions so that the bathroom isn't exposed to the entire neighborhood haha. Possibly a smaller rectangle window that allows for both light and privacy. Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.