Need a Pickup!

34 Replies

its gotten ridiculous running from home depot and occasionally lowes multiple times a day with my little sedan, especially when i need loads of drywall and pallets upon pallets of heavy ceramic tile.

having spent virtually all my capital on the house and now the rest in materials, would be lucky to scratch up a few thousand to finally invest in the much needed pickup i've decided i really need to complete this job, before i go bankrupt. credit/auto loan aint an option cuz i recently maxed out my cards and have been settling them for less than full once they go to collections.

i could not bring my truck with me from nyc months ago when i moved to the west coast and left it with my parents for them to use or sell. they sold it.

what are some recommendations for a good used pickup truck suitable for a DIY flipper as well as a landscaper in socal.

i've also turned down enuf landscape jobs already cuz i dont have a truck these days.

help! =D

Don't forget that you can always rent a truck from home depot. I don't know how often you're making trips but if it's not that often renting one would be much cheaper than buying, inspecting, and insuring one. If not  you can always find deals on craigslist.

Originally posted by @Chris K. :

Don't forget that you can always rent a truck from home depot. I don't know how often you're making trips but if it's not that often renting one would be much cheaper than buying, inspecting, and insuring one. If not  you can always find deals on craigslist.

And they'll deliver for $50-$60.  Plus they'll pull your order. Saves a bunch of time if you know what you need. 

If you have a Lowes commercial account they will deliver for $20 and HD will match their price.

get a trailer hitch and a single axle trailer , I have a 5 x 8 that I have gutted 3 houses with and moved all the materials .  

Originally posted by @Jon Klaus :

I like Toyotas for reliability. Tacoma if small is OK, or Tundra for full size.  

Have you considered a small trailer for your car to pull as a stop gap measure?

Thanks all. I really like the Tundra!

Originally posted by Account Closed:
Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

I like Toyotas for reliability. Tacoma if small is OK, or Tundra for full size.  

Have you considered a small trailer for your car to pull as a stop gap measure?

Thanks all. I really like the Tundra!

It's what I drive. 

Hard to beat a Chevy with the 5.3 if you only need a gas burner. My '03 has 222k miles and still runs great. I also know a guy that has a '01 with over 475k miles. Generally you can get a long wheel base cheaper than the short wheel base and if you are using it just for building materials, you'll appreciate the 8' bed. 

Consider this yet another vote for a good utility trailer.  I picked up a good used 5x8 trailer for $500 off Craiglist with a 3500# rated axle.  I don't pay insurance on it or put gas in it.  The bed height is lower and much more flexible than a pickup truck bed. 

Sssssssssssssssilverado.......

I have done a lot of work with a 5x10 trailer single axle trailer.  $1500 new.  I towed with a 4-runner and graduated to Tundra about a year ago.  The truck is great for quick hauls when you didn't plan on it, but the trailer wins hands down on ease of load, unload, weight capacity and the ability to leave it behind.  So if you are doing demo, it can serve as your dumpster.  I thought once I got a truck that I would not use the trailer but that is not the case.  Definitely the trailer on price.

i like a big suv with a covered rear. sure hauling drywall is problem, but I don't fear having things taken out of the back of my ride. think Honda pilot. I drive an acura mdx....but I don't mind screwing it up for the little conveininces it offers me.

My favourite ... and everyone knows who's coming ;)

... but most of the time, I pull a utility trailer behind a diesel station wagon.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Originally posted by @Bob B. :

If you have a Lowes commercial account they will deliver for $20 and HD will match their price.

Here they will deliver for free to try and get more of our business ;-)

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Originally posted by Account Closed:

what are some recommendations for a good used pickup truck suitable for a DIY flipper as well as a landscaper in socal.

Neil;

Stop by a Uhaul store and see if they sell a trailer hitch for your small car. If they have one for your car, find out how much they will charge you to install it. If the purchase + install price makes sense then get it installed and start shopping for a little trailer. 

They are out there. Make sure that you check Orange County and Inland Empire Craigslist, as well as LA Craigslist. Your trailer license registration will be cheap and will be good for 5 years. 

As others have stated, you can do A LOT with a little trailer. You don't NEED a truck, especially not now, while your trying to save your pesos. 

A trailer will work just fine. Get yourself to Harbor Freight and buy some cheap tie down straps and you will be fine. Heck, Long Beach/Signal Hill is so congested, you won't ever be going over 35 mph anyway.  ; )   

DL

Heck, here's one for $130 !!!  https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4919286372.html

Originally posted by @Seth S. :

i like a big suv with a covered rear. sure hauling drywall is problem, but I don't fear having things taken out of the back of my ride. think Honda pilot. I drive an acura mdx....but I don't mind screwing it up for the little conveininces it offers me.

Same here I have an '03 Sequoia with the rear seats removed. Plus I have 2 trailers. 8x12 & a double axle 7000# 8x20. I rarely haul drywall & 8ft+ lumber etc inside the SUV more for safety than convenience. It's a lot easier to load/off-load a trailer with ramps than negotiating the height & predominantly small beds of todays Pick-ups. We can load the trailer(s) using a forklift, try doing that to a pickup without causing any damage.

I have a Nissan Frontier 2000 model with 194,000 miles on it. I use it for my rehab jobs and misc work on projects.

When it dies I will replace it with another Nissan or Toyota used of course.

If you buy a new truck hit something or dent the tailgate time you drive it off the lot. With-out a dent or broken glass your subs won't take you serious.

I've had a Chevy Silverado (216,000 miles, bought with 90,000 miles for $4,000) and a couple of Ford F150s.  I like the 8 ft bed for hauling drywall, paneling, plywood and lumber.

Also have had several vans, mostly full size.  One problem with smaller vans is cargo area is only 7 ft long and lots of materials come in 8 ft lengths, which means the door have to stay open in the back, not the best in winter zero temps.

Two comments. One, you need to get on the Lowes QSP program. If you can anticipate your material needs (and avoid "running from home depot and occasionally lowes multiple times a day...") Lowes will deliver for free or nominal cost, and QSP savings is normally 10%-15%. Second, my company provides a Chevy Express cargo van for me to use so there is no cost for me personally for gas, insurance, repairs, etc. 8' material is anot an issue. But it's 100% business use. Going strong at 169K+ in service miles. And it's covered (no weather or theft issues), with a bins package for parts/inventory. Beats the old F-150 with 300K+ miles.

you can probably ship your truck for less then a used pickup and you know what your getting

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you