DIY Shower 'Pan'

8 Replies

does anyone know how to build a shower pan without having to buy a fiberglas/acrylic or whatever molded pan?

i'm thinking of making one with poured cement as its for outdoors in a private spot in my backyard (very simple, open, like the type near beaches and pools, but i do want a pan so i can redirect grey water down the pan's drain to the area of garden i want it to go. 

yea i like to take showers outdoors in the summer instead of tracking dirt/mud into the house, as am an avid gardener and it reminds me of my vacations overseas of which these days it doesn't look i'll be going on anytime soon cuz of my finances =/

that should work well.  Just put some chicken wire in the concrete and it will hang together for years.  I Mede an outdoor shower pan out of p.t., an d put a piece of sea-board ( like cutting board plastic) at an angle under the planks to shed the water.  Also, if it's against a building, just thumbtack a shower curtain to the side of the building to shed the spray.  Showering out doors is wonderful!

Will it be up against the house or further out?  

If not against the house it might be easiest to dig a hole - fill with gravel - then build a slightly raised shower floor out of wood. Any "exotic" wood (teak/cumaro/etc) would both look great and feel nice under foot.  

Against the house I would be concerned about drainage and would want a pan.  I'd be tempted to pour a ~4" flat slab with plumbing run before pouring and then do a dry mix mud pan just like a shower over it and do some small porcelain tiles.  If appearances are not a prime consideration you could just pour the ~4" concrete slab with a slope.   

Good luck - will get a lot of use I'm sure.

thanks guys! i like the diversity between both  doubled ideas - chicken wire concrete pan vs showercurtain against building, and gravel under teak wood vs poured concrete molded by dry mix pan then finished with ceramic floor tiles <--- most likely will go with the lattermost, thxxx! =D

Can you raise the shower a bit?  Say;  one or two steps up?  If so the floor could be a water resistance wood, like teak, or something like TREX decking.  The water collection could be a shallow metal pan hung under the shower floor.  The water directing 'piping' could be a section of half-round rain gutter.

If it has to be poured concrete just built a 2 by 6 frame the size of the outer perimeter you want, and a second 2 by 3 frame the size of the shower floor that you want.  Set the 2 by 6 frame into place - 1/2" low in one corner - where the drain will be - and pour a 3" slab inside the frame.  When the concrete is setting up push some 12 penny nails into the concrete - every few inches - about an inch in from the 2 by 6 frame.  Then set the 2 by 3 frame on the fresh, just-firm-to-the-touch slab and pour more concrete to fill the gap between the inner and outer frames.

stephen
------------

Originally posted by Account Closed:

does anyone know how to build a shower pan without having to buy a fiberglas/acrylic or whatever molded pan?

i'm thinking of making one with poured cement as its for outdoors in a private spot in my backyard (very simple, open, like the type near beaches and pools, but i do want a pan so i can redirect grey water down the pan's drain to the area of garden i want it to go. 

yea i like to take showers outdoors in the summer instead of tracking dirt/mud into the house, as am an avid gardener and it reminds me of my vacations overseas of which these days it doesn't look i'll be going on anytime soon cuz of my finances =/

thanks, Stephen i started it just hours ago and am going the poured-concrete route.

put a bulkhead (shower drain) in the middle already of the framed 'pan' with 3" recycled abs leading to my garden irrigation channels.

pretty much the only chemicals that will get added to the grey water will be very dilute antibacterial bar soap and the occasional leak while showering that cant wait after a few beers gardening under hot socal sun so hopefully the system's ecofriendly to.

How are you going to properly slope the pan if you pour it out of concrete?

Tile shower pans are formed out of 'deck mud' another name is called 'dry pack', it's basically 4 or 5 parts sand(different people have different preferences on the 4 or 5 parts) to 1 part cement. It allows you to form slopes with it, then you put your membrane on top of that once it's dried, then you do a final slope with the same mixture, then you tile it. Properly done it will last forever.

Just google deck mud or dry pack and you'll get all kinds of info.

You could also purchase a premade, tile ready tile pan like a Ready Pan.

I put all shower drains in a corner.  I hate to have to step on the drain while shorwering.

stephen
---------------

Originally posted by Account Closed:

thanks, Stephen i started it just hours ago and am going the poured-concrete route.

put a bulkhead (shower drain) in the middle already of the framed 'pan' with 3" recycled abs leading to my garden irrigation channels.

pretty much the only chemicals that will get added to the grey water will be very dilute antibacterial bar soap and the occasional leak while showering that cant wait after a few beers gardening under hot socal sun so hopefully the system's ecofriendly to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you