Cleaning a sandstone fireplace ?

4 Replies

Any recommendations on cleaing this sandstone fireplace.

I figured I'd hit BP up before trying sulfuric acid and all the safety gear required to do that.

Hey Tom,

Acid isn't really a great idea anyway, you're more eating away the stone that is dirty than cleaning it. There are several PH balanced products out there for cleaning sandstone, I have used Silque and StoneTech products before and both worked fairly well. You can use it with a microfiber cloth to work the solution into the stone, and rinse with warm water. The worst part is it just takes time and elbow grease, it's not a job you can do quickly, and I hope you have strong hands because it will be an intensive workout for them. 

Adam

@Adam Hershman

I will check those out. I guess this is why I see so many folks painting these things but I want to at least give cleaning a try. Thanks !

I think its muratic acid , not sulfuric acid  ( its been a while)  sulfuric acid is battery acid .  Try some vinegar on a small spot  , its acidic .

I would not use an acid or any other harmful chemicals on it.

If it were me I would tape/tarp/seal off the walls and floor and create a tarp-trough there in front of the hearty to contain any runoff water.  Use a small utility pump - or a friend with s shop van - to keep the water accumulation on the tarp down to a minimum.  Put a big exhaust fan in the nearest window.  Spray the stone down with a mild cleaner like Simple Green and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then I'd go over the stone with a small pressure washer.  1000-1500 lbs or so.

The prep will take two hours to set up properly and the cleaning will take ten minutes. <g>

Then I'd clear out all the water and set the former exhaust fan to blow directly onto the fireplace.  When it looked dry I would and start a couple dehumidifiers running in the room for a day or two.

It will probably clean up perfectly but if it doesn't, hey;  look at the bright side - at least it will be well prepped for painting. <g>

stephen
---------------

Originally posted by Account Closed:

Any recommendations on cleaing this sandstone fireplace.

I figured I'd hit BP up before trying sulfuric acid and all the safety gear required to do that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.