What is your opinion of this backsplash?

14 Replies

Hard to tell without seeing the whole thing but it looks a bit plain and unbalanced.  I prefer doing mine with deco's spaced apart so it doesn't look too busy.  Also I like my sides flush with the cabinet so there is no cut end to contend with and would have used a bullnose end piece instead of the metal edge.  Just my take on it.  Good luck with your project.

Looks fine to me. I trust there there is clear caulk at the joint between the counter and backsplash. Of course it depends on the context. What is the goal? Flip, wholesale, buy and hold to rent? What is the type of property you are trying to present? A, B, C ? For a more finished high end look the metal trim would have to go and the upper cupboards would extend to the end of the counter or the backsplash material continue up the wall. But I am no designer. :-)

I'm going to finish more tomorrow. Once more is done I think it'll turn out pretty good. 

I fought with myself about where to put the edge, I don't think the backsplash should be off the cabinets, to me the backsplash is for the countertops and should flow with them well. 

@Marcia Maynard

This is my personal residence. We are basically house hacking after living here for 7 years.

We're in Lake Stevens, so I'm not overly concerned with looking too high end. However, I really thought the metal trim would tie in the stainless steel of our sink, faucet, and future appliances. 

This is the input I'm looking for, thanks to you both. I'll post another picture tomorrow of my progress.

Post the finished project, I would like to see the finished product.  The material is good and the workmanship is excellent.  I'm down here in south florida and use a lot of porcelain tile.  Natural stone is very popular here.  Thank you for the posting.

Originally posted by @Loren Thomas :

@Marcia Maynard

This is my personal residence. We are basically house hacking after living here for 7 years.

We're in Lake Stevens, so I'm not overly concerned with looking too high end. However, I really thought the metal trim would tie in the stainless steel of our sink, faucet, and future appliances. 

This is the input I'm looking for, thanks to you both. I'll post another picture tomorrow of my progress.

You are right, the metal trim would work well with the stainless steel. Some of our rental property backsplashes have the metal trim. I just don't see it used on the street of dreams. :-)  Like I said, I am no design expert. Heck, we still have oak cabinets and formica countertops with oak trim in our home kitchen! The original ivory color Magic Chef appliances from when the house was built in 1986 too! I'm impressed with your craftsmanship, is your backspash stone or some other material that looks like stone?

Ok, here's the final product, at least on that side of the kitchen. The material is vinyl plank flooring I got for free from work.

I liked it a lot at first but after you said it was free, I love it!!

Looks like a great idea! Will that hold up OK near the range? 

My thought process about durability was this:

This stuff is made to be very very durable. It interlocks with itself improving durability. I think it's the nature of flooring to hold up well. Now as far as heat from the range, I hadn't really considered that til you mentioned it. I don't think it's a substantial amount of heat (temperature) on the backsplash, nothing it can't handle anyways. 

You have motivated me to fire up my torch when I get home. I'll take one of my scrap pieces and give it a bit of a torture test. 

My concerns would not be just the heat, but also the steam from hot water around the sink and boiling water at the stove. Would it cause the glue backing to release over time? 

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.