• Investor
  • Bonaire, GA
Votes |
SmartLocks vs. Locksmith

Amy E.
  • Investor
  • Bonaire, GA
Posted Apr 4 2015, 08:29

I've only been in business a short while, but own three rentals.  One I had to turn over already due to the quality of tenants, and it just happens to be the house with the most door locks I've ever seen on a 1200 s.f. house (9!).

I called around to several locksmiths to compare prices and all are similar.  My locksmith has set me up with a master key system, but still charges a $45 service fee and $10/lock to re-key when a tenant leaves.  So for this particular house it costs me about $145 (including tax and keys) when I have to re-key.

The other two houses have 3 locks and 5 locks, and would probably cost about $80 and $100 if I had to re-key (although I have better tenants in those and don't foresee high turnover, both have renewed leases this year).

Kwikset makes not only a Smart Locks that can be re-keyed, but also makes a deadbolt (no knobs) that are both Smart and allow a master key called Key Control.  I was contemplating switching all the knobs to plain unlockable knobs and the deadbolts to the Kwikset Key Control master system.  But the Key Control locks are $30 each and good knobs are about $20. I think it'll cost me about $250 or so to change the hardware for this house.

I found lots of info about the regular smart locks from Kwikset, but I was wondering if anyone had used the Key Control deadbolts in particular and how they like them?  The locksmith said he liked them, but they could be broken into and if you lose the master key, there's nothing much you can do (he couldn't get in) except contact Kwikset.

Also, since I have been in business such a short while, I am not really sure how often to project turnover (although for MX costs I assume once a year).  If I get new tenants every year, its probably worth it.  But less than that I'm not so sure.  Thoughts?  

Loading replies...