Tree grinder

5 Replies

Had tree cut down but stump remains. Im told stump grinder can be rented and not difficult to operate. Is this true?  Can anyone tell me cost and how long it will take me to rid this stump. Its 20inch diameter with spider roots?  Txs

Be sure the tree is completely dead, including all roots, before you grind the stump. We didn't do this with a hawthorn that we cut down. Even though the stump was ground a few years ago, we are still battling the shoots that are coming up all over the place. Some trees have a strong will to live! 

I'm told what we should have done is drill holes in the stump and pour an herbicide or stump remover product in the holes so it will get down to the roots. Even rock salt, epsom salt or motor oil will do the trick I'm told. Google "how to kill a stump" and you will find many ways to do this.

After the tree and all of it's roots are dead, you can grind it, or chop it up, or burn in down.

Marcia Maynard, Fischer Properties | Podcast Guest on Show #83

I highly recommend you just hire a tree guy to grind the stump, it won't be THAT much money. This is coming from someone who was raised by a landscape contractor. If you have never used a machine like that it is dangerous. It's not like laying tile, cutting some wood or painting for the first time. 

Hire someone.  I've used these, 65HP plus, and if you had 20 or 30 to do, you might save some money doing them all, with the learning curve.  Should costs under $100 or $150.

Originally posted by @Kevin C. :

Had tree cut down but stump remains. Im told stump grinder can be rented and not difficult to operate. Is this true?  Can anyone tell me cost and how long it will take me to rid this stump. Its 20inch diameter with spider roots?  Txs

If you want to do this yourself I would call and get pricing from a tool rental company. I was able to grind a 18" stump in less than 4 hours (that includes a 45 minute drive to pick up the grinder, grinding the stump and returning the grinder)

It depends on your comfort level with machinery. I did it myself because I  worked a summer for a tree removal company and had seen the operation dozens of times.

I would recommend a model that moves the head hydraulically, not the smaller hand operated ones. Just make sure you take tour time and don't try to go to deep with each pass.

If you want to go Tim Allen on the stump and do it in about 3 seconds for way to much money get this model.

BUCKETMOUTH Forestry Mower

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you