Nest thermostats

4 Replies

Has anyone here installed a Nest thermostat before?  Are there any requirements as to what kind of existing thermostats can or cannot be upgraded to a Nest thermostat?

Adrian Chu

This looks helpful actually.

https://nest.com/thermostat/installation/#install-your-nest

Adrian Chu

I have a Nest thermostat in my personal home. I believe the newest version will work on most AC / Heat units but the older version only worked on certain setups. To be honest with you I like that I can control the thermostat from my phone and some of the features of the Nest thermostat but I have not been overly impressed with the energy savings that I have seen. My power usage seems to still be about the same as with my old school thermostat. However, I prior to installing the Nest I was pretty good about changing the temp settings and keeping it around 78 / 68 when at home. It is easy to install. You should be up and running in about 15 minutes or less. 

I forgot to mention that I have had the Nest installed for about 2 years so the energy usage is not just a "first impression" opinion. It is from experience. 

Love the convenience, but it really isn't a smart device.  It should have learned that the temperature inside has a lot to do with the temperature and humidity of outside.  I still have to do all the pre-sets and operate it - it just makes it nice to be able to do that from the airport.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
      • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
      • Learn how to get started with or without money,
      • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
      • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.