Design Help!

8 Replies

I'm rehabbing a live in flip in a traditional neighborhood grapevine, Tx and need your opinion on the exterior colors im using. I'm worried they are too modern for the neighborhood.  The front door will be sanded down and stained a deep brown. Check out the pictures! :) Thanks!

Your best clue is to drive the neighborhood and see how the neighbors have theirs painted.  You can also check for those that recently sold in the neighborhood so you can just check the colors online.  Good luck!

Personally I like the red door with the white trim. It's inviting. With the color of the bricks it would look a little drab and boring without it.

I like the front door, even though I wouldn't do the bright white trim. 

I tend to lean toward modern design, but I don't like the cool of the gray you've chosen up against the super warm brick. You can get the same modern feel by going with a warmer gray. 

Don't paint the brick. Natural brick is easier to care for and timeless. 

Do change the color of the garage door; the grey looks drab and detracts from the warmth of the brick. Your idea of brown might work here. You could also do white. Consider adding a design element to the garage door since it is so large. 

The red front door looks nice; other bright colors would too. I think a brown front door would recede and you would not get the "pop" as you do with the red color. Imagine some red flowers in the planting beds, like geraniums, to tie in with the red door.

Nice house.

Marcia Maynard, Fischer Properties | Podcast Guest on Show #83

Since your objective is to appeal to a large audience, I would change both the front door and garage door. 

How did the colors work out?

I like the gray garage door and would paint the front door to match.  The windows frame also look gray as well Don't paint the brick.  I do like the soffit painting detail of the gray and cream.  I think you could even paint the gutters a darker gray.   I think I would focus on the landscaping and tree removal.  The entry is formal design which you need to make a strong symmetry statement with the landscaping. Have you thought about landscape lighting? I don't care for the flagstone rock wall but not sure what I would change it too.  What about painting it or plaster over it with a gray to match the trim and doors.  This would put the focus back on the brickwork.  I did a down and dirty photoshop  but you will get the just of it.   Food for thought!

I agree that a dark brown front door will be too dark with the inset front entry area.  This seems like a good place for a bright color.  Personally I'd go bright orange

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you