Living Room / Dining Room Design Ideas

8 Replies

I purchased this Multi Family unit and would like Interiror Design, Color ideas that will give character to this Historic Victorian home. I will be occupying this apartment with my wife and we are open to suggestions from the knowledgeable BiggerPocket members. 

Thinking of doing the following:

1. finish the floor (sand and stain) to a darker color like cherry wood or darker. suggestions? Should I also paint the 2 large posts and/or window trimmings the same color as the floor?

2, Should I replace in wall AC unit with a newer model or just cover the area?

3. Main entrance will be  living room, black table and grey suade chairs. 

thinking of putting chandelier. Any suggestions of type of chandelier? not too modern or too antique.

4. the center wall in the living room (to the right of the large window), what would you do on it? paint or tile it to stand out?

budget is under $5,000

For Number 4 above: 

"4. the center wall in the living room (to the right of the large window), I currently do not have an illustration. But is wall (no chimney or windows) that has the center of wall coming out bout 1 feet more than the rest. We were thinking of just painting it or tiling it as this illustration - minus the chimney. would like any suggestions.

Gorgeous house! First of all, paint: Consumer Reports on paint. The $28 paint at the bottom is a favorite of mine. Question 1. If you don't have floor sanding experience, don't even consider doing it yourself. Really. You could buff them a little,  but sanding and staining will empty your budget fast! Leave the posts white no matter what other colors you use. And don't ever paint trim to "match" stained wood, they will clash. 2. Thats a tough one. Consider who you are renting to and decide whether or not it will matter  to them. But yeah, its ugly. 3. I like modern style, but it doesn't go with the this house. Black looks incredible as trim paint and then placing a single black piece of furniture in that room. But you can find furniture that will go with the house for less $$$ than modern. White with neutral damask are your best bets. 4. Don't do more work than necessary on rentals. As a property owner, we can implement ideas we love, but not everyone will like it as much as we do. The fireplace is sweet! Not for this house though. More $$$ spent on your part, and the style doesn't match. With your good taste, you might want to consider doing lofts in an industrial building ;)

Just my opinions, feel free to trash, just don't bash. :)

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @John Griswold :

Gorgeous house! First of all, paint: Consumer Reports on paint. The $28 paint at the bottom is a favorite of mine. Question 1. If you don't have floor sanding experience, don't even consider doing it yourself. Really. You could buff them a little,  but sanding and staining will empty your budget fast! Leave the posts white no matter what other colors you use. And don't ever paint trim to "match" stained wood, they will clash. 2. Thats a tough one. Consider who you are renting to and decide whether or not it will matter  to them. But yeah, its ugly. 3. I like modern style, but it doesn't go with the this house. Black looks incredible as trim paint and then placing a single black piece of furniture in that room. But you can find furniture that will go with the house for less $$$ than modern. White with neutral damask are your best bets. 4. Don't do more work than necessary on rentals. As a property owner, we can implement ideas we love, but not everyone will like it as much as we do. The fireplace is sweet! Not for this house though. More $$$ spent on your part, and the style doesn't match. With your good taste, you might want to consider doing lofts in an industrial building ;)

Just my opinions, feel free to trash, just don't bash. :)

Than You so much for all your input.  I will be owner occupant of this apartment so I want it look good. 

1. I will subcontract all the work

2. you are right about the in wall AC, is ugly. I may replace with a newer model or just cover the area with dry wall. 

3. modern lighting fixtures will not look right with a historic house and I am still on the fence about the tiling of the wall to look like this. I like the style just unsure if it would look right for this house.

Is the AC in the wall a necessity? If so, You might replace it with a newer black or white unit, then pick up some trim and frame it out like a fireplace with a mantle on top. make it look like it is supposed to be there ;) Since you will occupy and your tastes aren't Victorian, look up "black trim" on Houzz and it can help you find a balance.

Originally posted by @John Griswold :

Is the AC in the wall a necessity? If so, You might replace it with a newer black or white unit, then pick up some trim and frame it out like a fireplace with a mantle on top. make it look like it is supposed to be there ;) Since you will occupy and your tastes aren't Victorian, look up "black trim" on Houzz and it can help you find a balance.

I will look into that option, I think it would blend in well. Thanks.

@Fernando H. Ran into this posting.  Was wondering what you ended up doing with the Victorian? I'm sure it came out beautiful.

A nice gray color of paint would look nice in this room with the white columns, giving you a clean aesthetic. I would recommend a simple DIY project that I think could go a long way: Replace the baseboard heaters and unit cooler with something newer and a little bit more modern looking, and then add crown molding on the ceiling. People love that and it will match the Victorian aesthetic, plus it will mask the slightly deformed ceiling. If you have the money, a darker floor would look great especially against the gray-wall/white-trim pallet. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.