Boiler vs on demand hot water heater

6 Replies

The trole I own has a boiler water system that is not individually metered to the units. I am curious if anyone has replaced a boiler for three separate on demand water heaters. Pros and cons welcome.

Thanks

I am a plumber in mass, and sounds like individual on demands would be great in your situation. Highly efficient and have a great clean look to the units. It would be a great feature if you were to ever sell. They do get a little pricey depending on which unit you were to install, and the bad part is that they do not last 6-10 years without ever needing service. i have yet to come across an on demand boiler unit that hasnt needed service within 2 years and the parts take a while to come in.

good luck

I know a lot of people in Europe with these things, and they detest them. If water use is occasional then they seem fine, but if there are 2 or more adults living there, then they save nothing.

But everyone in the U.S. raves about them. Go figure.

I would go with on demand cost in saving  take up less space great feature on resale environment friendly Tankless water king has some of the best prices on line and Reem is the brand most people are installing . Make sure you get a certitude installer. One problem you may run into is the venting of the unit so make sure you check on what the code says on the venting of the units . also they have a Gas as well as electrical for them . If you have multi unit you may think about that .

Since you say that the fuel source is not metered individually, I will guess that you are looking at electric units.  The electric ones don't have as good a peak performance; google reviews and you will see that as a common complaint. 

And you might have to figure out how to get electric wiring from each tenant electric panel to wherever you place these units. 

@Steve Babiak @James DeRoest @Jake Henrion @Ahmed Porter

Thank you all for your reply - I got quite busy over the last week so I apologize for the late response.  Given that the units require some maintenance I had some more discussions with my father (whom I invest with in this property).  The plumbing would need to be individually re-plumbed which I did not realize.  So at this point, we are going to sit tight.

Thank you again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you