How to make old home's damp basement LOOK (not feel) better?

6 Replies

Buying my first investment property to rent out. It's 95 years old so the basement feels damp. No visible water, probably just moisture coming in from the foundation. Mold on the floor/walls that I plan to get rid of with bleach/water/scrubbing. 

After cleaning and ending up with bare concrete on floor/walls, I want to paint all the walls with white Drylok and stain the floor with some type of gray concrete stain. Then seal it with some type of clear concrete sealant (like this ) 

I know it's old and will cost a lot of money to 100% waterproof it. I don't care if it continues feeling damp. It's just a basement used for storage anyway. 

What do the rest of you do to crappy basements to make them look/feel a little less haunted and disgusting?

Buy and add a dehumidifier with a direct drain and let it do it's job, not to expensive and it's going to fell and look better after you dry lock-it .

@Emily Knowles

wet basements can be a scary thing.  i had to have the exterior basement wall dug out, sealed on the outside with a membrane, and new french drains set up.  then a sump pump installed.  hopefully yours will not require that kind of money.  best of luck.

Adam

do what you plan on, plus adding the dehumidifier like Florian mentioned should help the situation a lot.

Hi Emily, 

I agree with @Florian N. as a starting point. Ive had to do this with several of my properties. Id also suggest adding a fan in addition to the Dehumidifier just to help circulate the air. After a few days of letting the dehumidifier run you'll notice a difference and it should be ready for prep and paint. Continue to run the dehumidifier during that process also, so that the paint will dry. If the moisture continues or gets worst you may have to consider what @Adam Drummond had to do. Good Luck!

Agree with the above.  Sealing paint on walls and floor will help.  Also run a dehumidifier into a sewer drain.  You can set the dehumidifier to come on only when it's really damp.  For example if your basement is 75-80% humidity most of the time, and you just set the dehumidifier to knock it down to about 65-60% that will feel like a world of difference and it will only come on during the most humid days.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.