One of my SFH is on a well. The water softener stopped working and a new toilet we put in has some rust stains in it. The local water softening company recommends a setup that will cost about $3K. I was just going to put in a home depot unit for about $300.00. What experience have you all had?
Please, please, please, please.
Contact your local plumbing supply. Set up an account. If you're handy, and ready to DIY, you will almost certain get it for less than $300, and you'll have opened the door to discount supplies in the future. Almost everything that I've obtained from my local plumbing supply comes at a 50% discount, if not more. You'll either get a much better unit for the same price, or you'll save money on the one you had your eye on at home depot. Either way, it's well worth your time.
1) You can get the hardwater stains out by draining the toilet, then fill it with white vinegar and let it soak. Then it should come off easily with a toilet brush.
2) I would go with the home depot route. I assume you are talking about a whole house filter, where you can install it yourself. If not, get some quotes. $3k seems like a lot to install a water filter. Take the model number of what they wanted to install and go to a regular plumber for a quote to buy and install it, not a "water softening company".
Whenever someone comes up with a specialized name, like "water softening company" instead of "plumber" I feel like I'm about to get hit up for a big bill.
@Peter Sanchez is on the right track.
Water Softener companies do not have to be licensed plumbers, and because they are filling a niche they can charge a higher premium.
Im not saying they don't do good work, ( I have come in behind quite a few of them) but amazingly enough, you could very well get a better rate from a local plumber. The bonus side is you will need the plumber more in the long run anyway.
If you can DIY, then water softeners are not to terrible to put in, but remember you get what you pay for. Home Depots stuff is lesser quality then your plumbing shop will stock.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing