Ozone Generator Recommendations Please

8 Replies

A house I recently purchased has a cat odor in one room that is lingering after being painted. Another has a strong mold smell. I am looking for a strong ozone generator that would be sufficient to:

1. Remove pet odors

2. Supplement mold remediation by reaching areas that can't be easily treated or painted

This one looks interesting, but I don't know which models would be sufficient:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11092354214086219142?q=ozone%20generator&biw=1280&bih=864&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.96952980,d.b2w&tch=1&ech=1&psi=412VVcS9JcPytQWBo5-oBA.1435852267412.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX3Df3sE3VPuElDrvKJ7rRP6CyX9NBAGjfqcrSMvs98VcYg0pG8MFlCRaR5FEKJ6tB-bEHMVvCnybUGp47UBQBxAI1szmq9HYeE5Emv0o8Eec6GFqMRIZAFPVH70PjyAiSnFT8sCO0wM3wckw3Xvreg,hsec:specs,scoring:tp&ved=0CLsBEKYr&ei=9l2VVcWGEcrFsAXA756YCw

i have one similar to that , i have run in a few properties to get rid of pet odor.  it works great for a few days and then the odor returns.  not really sure if the size of the unit makes a difference or if it is user error.  would love for one of these to really work but not convinced so far.

Matt, 

What about a cold fogger (rent at home depot) using Concrobium?  I have been told that takes out oders, and kills mold/mildew.  
An additional product is Microban X590.  This is a little more 'advanced', the Concrobium Mold Control is pretty safe. 

Best of luck!

Justin

My experience is to run ozone generator for several days in a closed up house. Place near the return side of the air handler and turn air to run continually. Be sure and open windows and doors upon return for fresh air. 

@Wilson Churchill

I hired a company that specializes in odor removal. Sadly though after 4 treatments it did not work. Initially, it did "something" but then quickly returned so they did additional treatments at no cost - they were guaranteed removal or no payment. They did the aggressive additional treatments and it appeared to have been resolved - it wasn't. It just took longer to come back - I actually had tenants that didn't complain but after they moved out I noticed the "same" smell.

I researched and found a product called Vamoose and bought it off of Amazon. It was a gallon jug that could be used with ozone generator but I didn't do that. The house size is 1500 sqft and I did all the carpets, and wiped down the trim and windows and fan. I also sprayed some into the intake vents. After applying this and coming back 24 hrs later, I wiped everything down and vacuumed the carpet.

This actually worked better to rid the smell. I don't know why the ozone treatment didn't work but this did.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you