Rust oleum tile and tub refinishing

6 Replies

Has anyone used the rust oleum tile and tub refinish? It seems pretty strait forward if you follow the directions. Has anyone had any issues? Does it turn out as desired? Does it take longer than a day not including final drying Any thoughts or comments are helpful thanks

I have used it and thought it was decent, but your satisfaction will depend on your expectations.  

I used it on some 'normal' rentals (not expensive / not cheap) and it did the job I wanted.  I did not want to replace the tubs, and the refinished tub looked much better than before.

If you are using it on a higher end rental or on your personal residence, you may have higher expectations.

Please note that you should definitely have a lot of air circulation (ventilation) in the room - the smell/fumes are quite strong.  If you are using it in your own home, budget 24 hours at least for the smell to be quite strong.

Surface prep is key! I've used on a rental and it serves it's purpose. I would not use the product in a higher end flip or rental.

Make sure the surface will stay clean and dry for the full curing time.  A couple drips of water can ruin the whole job.  It'll start to bubble and peel, and becomes really hard to fix or do over because you have to scrub off the whole coat to get it to look smooth.

Also, get a respirator mask, IIRC they're about $40.  The fumes from this stuff are no joke, Just a few minutes of exposure to it will make you feel weird for hours after.

It does make a tub look almost like new, but it has drawbacks.  The paint is not as hard as the tub surface, it's actually pretty soft.  That means it gets damaged easily and it's harder to keep clean.  For a rental you should weigh the pros and cons of refinishing vs replacing.  This isn't an easy job, it might be easier to replace.  A tub with access to the drain pipe can be replaced in a few hours if everything goes right.

I too have used this product and was not wowed by its durability.   Another option if you do not wish to replace the tub is to have it lined (à la "Bath Fitters").

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

I too have used this product and was not wowed by its durability.   Another option if you do not wish to replace the tub is to have it lined (à la "Bath Fitters").

I regretted doing it & now the 'bath fitter' solution is the only viable option as I am NOT ripping out another bathroom.

I've had good results with the similar Homax product.  I prefer the brush on kit over the spray on kit, because the overspray is difficult to contain.

Definitely use a respirator, and follow the instructions EXACTLY or it will not work properly.  And yes, they do take more than a day to cure.  Sometimes up to a week if there is high humidity, low temperature, or poor air flow.

And as mentioned earlier, the end product may not align with expectations in a higher-end property, but will be great for at least a B property.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here