Best Templates for Rentals?

7 Replies

There are tons of options that come up when I search rental application forms for my state. I am having trouble selecting which is the best one because I it doesn't say if these are actually approved. 

List of forms I should have? There are a lot and I don't want to miss any.

Acceptance Letter, Departure Letters, Maintenance Request, Key Forms, Move-In/Move-Out Form, Etc. 

Always get legal counsel to make sure you follow your state laws. However try the file place under the resource tab.

Originally posted by @Justice Cannie :

Always get legal counsel to make sure you follow your state laws. However try the file place under the resource tab.

I just wanted to make all the forms first to the best of my ability then get them all checked out by a lawyer.

Hey @David T.

As far as making sure you have legal and correct forms for anything real estate or property management including rental application forms, I would suggest using or at least checking your local state department of regulatory agencies to see what constituents a legitimate rental application, or you can print the form off the website. Here in Colorado we use DORA, which allows us to print the actual commission approved form and at minimum allows us to see what the application or form needs to have in it, if we decide to get that form or application from another site. 

Another way you can obtain a legitimate rental application form, is to call 4 or 5 well established property management companies and asking them for a rental application. Some of them may even have it online. You can look examine and see what the difference is between them and then pick and choose what you like on them to create your own. They should be following the regulations required in your state. 

Check your local library, they may have a state archive of these forms. Also, the suggestion to check the BP fileplace is a good one.

Hey Hey!

I ended up renting this book from our local library and it has a web resource (with the link listed in the book). It gives tons of templates in both editable and non-editable versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Landlords-Legal-Guide-Portman/dp/1413320163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436031873&sr=1-1&keywords=every+landlord%27s+legal+guide

A list can be as comprehensive as you want.  Here are "a few".

• Application to Rent
  • Asbestos Disclosure
  • Bank Draft Authorization
  • Key Forms for receiving and surrendering keys
  • Late Charge Notice
  • Lead Disclosure
  • Lease Agreement
  • Lease Violation letters
  • Lease Renewal
  • Move In Form
  • Move-Out Form
  • Credit Report Forms
  • No Pet/Pet Agreement
  • Noise Warning Notice
  • Notice of Intention to Enter Dwelling
  • Notice of Inspection
  • Pest Control
  • Property Abandonment Forms
  • How Security Deposit is Handled
  • Smoke Detector Carbonmonoxide Agreement
  • Notices to Pay Rent or Vacate
  • Maintenance Request Forms

You can reference your landlord tenant laws in Connecticut to make sure any forms you use are in compliance.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/landlord.htm

Originally posted by @Richelle T. :

Check your local library, they may have a state archive of these forms. Also, the suggestion to check the BP fileplace is a good one.

I ended up borrowing a book and it had general template forms. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.