Help! $2400 for a shower enclosure?

7 Replies

I am nearing the end of my first non live-in flip and I am trying to finish up the details without totally blowing my budget.  I could not find anyone to do a tiled shower base so I bought a pan and tiled the walls.  Only one side of the shower pan had a threshold so I built a small wall to cover one side of the pan where there would be no wall and now I need a custom shower enclosure.  I've gotten back quotes of $1540 for a framed enclosure or $2377 for a frameless but that seems ridiculously high to me.  Has anyone run into this problem before?  Had success ordering a custom enclosure online, if so from where? Or, do you have any alternative solutions that might save me some money on this item?

Don't worry, the window has been painted and shower grouted since I took the picture. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Matt, 

I'm a contractor and those prices wouldn't be too far off for my area. (NH/MA)  I think the only way you are going to get out of paying that much would be to install the enclosure yourself.  I would try somewhere like FaucetDirect.com.  We have ordered plenty of fixtures from there and had decent luck with them, although we haven't gotten a shower enclosure from them yet. 

Hopefully that helps!

Donal

I'd lengthen the shower back, add a seat, tile the seat down to the pan. Build a half wall on the seat end toward the window, leave an opening for a standard shower door hinged at the window end. Look on line at Alumax shower doors, you'll need an end wall but one may fit. That's a DIY thing if you can tile, I had to laugh at the framing bid, they are saying they don't want to be bothered with such a small job, IMO. Get'R Done :)

Thanks for the reply's. 

Don - the prices may be in line for a custom shower enclosure they are just more than I had anticipated paying.  I'm very close to the end of this project and my budget is very tight because I just purchased a fourplex for my next deal.  Thanks for the recommendation of faucetdirect.com  I will look into it.

Bill - I really like your idea but I have space limitations that won't allow me t go longer or wider.  I turned an old laundry room into a master bath and i've already used all of the available space.

I think you can do better than those prices!

I ordered a custom satin aluminum framed kit a few years back about that size from a local glass shop. I think it was $400+/-.  It took way too long to assemble though - maybe 3 or 4 hours with all the rubber seals and frame assembly. 

I have had a couple quotes recently for framed and "european" frameless 2-sided surrounds. The most recent was about $800 installed for semi-framed with rainglass. The frameless Euro was about $1800. I went with the semi-framed.

Hope that helps. Have Fun!

I'm curious what you ended up doing on this one.  

I've been thinking about the most cost effective way to design a nice looking shower for flips.  In the past I have always done full tile base and walls with frameless glass panels and a frameless door.  The result is always great but the cost adds up. 

I'm thinking it would save a decent amount of money to use a prefab single threshold base, tile 3 walls, then use a fixed frameless panel with an open entry (and use a waterfall style shower arm).  I kind of like the open entry style shower but I'm not sure all buyers would feel the same way.  I believe you would need at least a 60" long prefab base for this to work though.

I used this one & was very impressed. From o/stock.com of all places The install was fun & had to use diamond drill bits to get through the porcelain tile. I built the entire 60" enclosure from scratch & recessed the base to floor level. (The stackable washer & dryer are now installed & recessed completely behind the wall).

DreamLine Infinity-Z 56- to 60-inch Frameless Glass Sliding Shower Door $447.30

I was able to price shop until I got the surround done for $1300 but I definitely would aim for three walls and a standard size when possible.  Standard size and three walls would save a substantial amount of time and headache when it works. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.