Switching sliding glass doors to French Doors

3 Replies

Good evening,

I have bought a 2 year live in flip and my first project is to replace a sliding glass door that I can't lock from the outside to French doors. I have looked up the how too and it seems straight forward. 

My main question is where can I find deals on securing nice French doors. I dont mind purchasing new, used or maybe refurnishing some as I have plenty of time. Just want a few ideas.

Thank you.

Home Depot or Lowes. You can also check Craigslist but with those doors its not likely you will find the right size. Typically its a custom size. 

There is a materials tab on craigslist.  They usually have extra contractor inventory

There are usually dented and dinged in Lowes / HD

French Doors are nice to look at but they have two downsides.  They can rack and be hard to close and they have a lot of material around the glass which impedes the view if you have one.

Just something to consider.

I plan on doing the same thing eventually. If you look around you can usually find a discount reseller locally to you that may sell building supplies. We have one locally that sell doors and windows, as well as trim and many other items.

Also, Habitat Restore can often have some good deals. I'm not sure how many of those you have locally.

Definitely confirm your rough opening as best you can, and buy a unit, with frame, bronze or aluminum sill, weather stripping, and doors. I would try to aim for outswing units, as they tend to have less leaking problems at the sill.

The main thing as far as install goes is you need to make sure to set the unit plumb, square and level, otherwise you will always have issues.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here