Best way to fix cracked front door glass?

4 Replies

Tenant called to say neighborhood vandals cracked the front door glass. This is one of those expensive fancy glasses that you can't just patch up. Picture is below.

Does anyone know a good/inexpensive way to fix this? It is part of a double door and the other door has the same glass to match. I've been brainstorming and calling around all day I've come to the conclusion that the best long term fix is to buy a new door with no glass.

Check with the manufacturer of the door. You might be able to replace the glass section without replacing the door. The glass is held in with screws. There will be caps over the screws.

Is it a double paned window?  Does the manufacturer have a distributor that will sell a replacement window? Have you looked up local stained glass companies / artists to get their take on repairing the glass?

A local glass company might be able to replace just the small, broken section between the leaded lines. It may not be a perfect match with the etched look but it's worth checking out. 

I had a burglar break-in 3 weeks ago at a flip house!  A 26"x18" double-pane, tempered replacement was about $150, with install. I thought that was pretty good. Of course my window was simple, clear, tempered glass (per code). Yours is a fancy one! The glass company said I could have saved about $40 if I brought the door to them. Great idea, except that the custom glass took 5 business days to order. Too long to go without a door!

thank you all for the replies!

I have decided I don't really want to put in the time/money to replace the glass. This is the second time this has happened to the door, I think we are ready for a door with no glass.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.