Bath & Tub remodel help and suggestions

8 Replies

I am closing on this rental today and need help on how to remodel this tub. The tub itself is in great shape but the blue shower surround is actually wood tiles. Being a rental I want to make this look as nice as possible while being as maintenance free and not spending a small fortune. I thought about doing tile but this house has a well and no guarantees on how rusty the water is regardless of the water softener. The window is also a variable as the ledge will hold water...

This house will rent for $1400-1500 so not high end but no low end either.

Also, the floor has hardwood, do you think putting tile over those or refinishing with the rest of the main level is the best direction to go?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm a big fan of tile. If done properly it will be water tight. As for the window you can replace the sill with stone (if its wood) or you can replace the whole window with glass block. Just make sure you have an exhaust fan somewhere in there if you decide to close up the window.

Wood floors in a bathroom are tough. I'd probably keep them for now but use a heavy duty or marine polyurethane.

did you take a picture of the house i closed on a month ago? lol

cause this is exact copy (not the materials) of the bath i am currently updating. i put new tub, scapped that horrible window and put glass block window with a vent. then i put a niche on the L wall. the tiles run horizontal and same tiles are used on the floor. check out my site to see some pics of the baths.

i want people to fall over and love the baths from first site. and they do.

@George P.

That is very very similar. Do you have a current picture of it?

i dont have a current picture of this particular bath, but this is how it will look after it's done.

i will get a picture of the bath in question and post it in a few days. but these are the tiles i use for both floor and shower surround.

Tile always looks great.  You need to really have Wonder Board behind it for it to be really water proof.  When we have a window in the shower that has dereriated we replace the sill with a Corian window sill.  It is easier to fabricate then marble and it looks great and is waterproof.   We sometimes put a Corian apron beneath it especially if there is damage there.   We put a bull nose  edge on the Corian sill and it looks really good. 

Looks good, I wouldnt touch a thing...ha

I'd think going with tile/stone would be the way to go.  Refinish the tub if necessary - and change the out the window to a vinyl one while the wall is tore apart, and add an exhaust fan if there is not one present.  

Another cheap thing to do is have the plumber pull the toilet and reset the wax ring, or for $8 more than a wax ring go to HD and by this -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Toilet-Gasket...

Only place I've seen this product is HD -- a master plumber I showed this to started using this on every job he does now -- even if your toilet moves - the seal should not break and is reusable.  Plumber should only charge $10-20 or so to reset the toilet.  

Also you should have Menards if you still live in Michigan nearby I'd think - they have some amazing deals on some of their stock Moen tub/shower faucets -- I've been going with the spot resist stainless -- think it's a little less faddish than Oil Rubbed Bronze.  I wouldnt go off brand on the faucet -- stick with Moen/Delta and you can have the valves rebuilt/retrimmed out years down the road for a fraction of the labor/cost to have them replaced when their internals start to fail.

If the toilet is old - Pro flow toilets at Ferguson Supply are a great bet - reasonably priced and they work -- no callbacks about plugged up toilets.

If you're worried about the floor you could always lay some luxury vinyl plank flooring over the top - either glue down or the snap fit as long as you get the water resistant material.  Probably cost the same as refinishing the wood floor.  I wouldn't be surprised if once the toilet is pulled you find rotted floor underneath it anyways.  Just an educated guess based on the look of the bathroom.

You'll have to post some before/after photos.

Bathroom doesn't look terrible.  I'd just add a shower curtain rod and maybe change the pink to white and clean up grout lines with caulk.  You could put some never rot trim on the window ledge if you are worried about rot and also paint the floors with some polyurethane.  I'd leave the window there until a new one is actually needed because it's easier to replace broken glass in wood windows anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.