Owner Builder Contracting License

8 Replies

Good Day Bp,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in getting a contractor's license for their flip. As a Carpenter that doesn't have a license I'm interested in being the owner builder of a rehab. Any information would be great.

Thanks,

John

in ohio you must have four years experience in structural framing. Not sure how they determine that but you can then apply for the license. I looked into it last year but I wouldn't meet the requirements so I haven't pursued it any further. I wonder if having a bs in interior design/construction management would help with qualifications?

Originally posted by @Bryan Williamson :

in ohio you must have four years experience in structural framing. Not sure how they determine that but you can then apply for the license. I looked into it last year but I wouldn't meet the requirements so I haven't pursued it any further. I wonder if having a bs in interior design/construction management would help with qualifications?

In most states a degree in construction management can be used to count as some the the experience requirement for a contractors licence, but can't be used for all of it. You have to check your states licencing requirements to be sure.

I recently got my contractors license in NC because my rehabs are going over the $30k mark. It wasn't too hard to get, and I think its better to keep everything legal and legit. I do like that I can now easily go pull permits and simply tell the building department who my subs will be. Other than that, I'm not sure it makes any difference. My thought was that it couldn't hurt to go ahead and get it.

Generally, "owner builder" is an exemption from licensing (not a license) that only applies to an owner/occupant, not a flip, where such an exemption exists.

@Bryan Williamson and Adam Anderson

Hey Brian and Adam, thanks for your response. here in California its 4 years of experience or education in replacement of the experience...very similar from what I can tell in other areas. Have a good one and thanks for interacting.

@Austin Lee

Hey Austin, thank you for your response I plan on getting my license here in the year or two. I like your website is that a leadpropeller site?

@Wayne Brooks

Thanks Wayne for you input, I was thinking the same thing I guess what I'm hoping for is using the flip as experience to get a contractors license. I guess its time to call the State Contractors Board

Have a great day guys thanks,

John

it varies by jurisdiction - CT is incredible - no requirements at all to be a Home Contractor - just pay the $200 and you are on - but a homeowner may get the permits if they wish or if they do not have a contractor. NC is a lot tougher with licensing, but I believe the owner may file for the permit him/herself - If it is structural you will need an architect or engineer anyway.

@John G. ,

To make the @ work, do the following:
Hold down the shift key and type @?
Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.
If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.
Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
Raymond

Hey @John G.

Check and see what CA requires for flipping houses.  Some states are now requiring the work be done by GC's so it might be advantageous for you to get your license.  I obtained my GC license in CA about 10 years ago so things might have changed a bit since then, but as I recall you needed to show you have sufficient experience in order to apply.  Don't forget you'll need to pay for insurance and bond prior to getting the license too.  There was a pretty involved test that you had to take too so find some good study material and study up.  Good luck!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.