Rubber Mulch for Landscaping

10 Replies

I am considering putting down rubber much as part of a landscaping project at several properties.  Has anyone had experience using this at rentals?  How long will it last assuming it doesn't float or fly away?

Worth the cost vs regular mulch?

Thanks BPers

generally it comes with a five to ten year color guarantee. It seems to be worth it if you  if you don't have a high-traffic area or landscaping to do every year .  If you're a person who does it yourself then the savings my only be justified in the costing over time obviously you take longer to to recoup the cost of regular mulch  especially if you are getting it in bulk .  I prefer to do all rocks because they'll never go bad 

From a landscaper point of view, its garbage.   There are much better areas you can spend your money on that are good for the ground.  That stuff never decomposes and looks like crap.  Its good for commercial applications and playgrounds.  

Originally posted by @James Pearson :

From a landscaper point of view, its garbage.   There are much better areas you can spend your money on that are good for the ground.  That stuff never decomposes and looks like crap.  Its good for commercial applications and playgrounds.  

I agree we tried it several years ago. Nothing like the smell of old rubber in the heat of the day when your walking past the gardens. Not to mention all those little rubber pieces floating out in heavy rains & covering the walkways.

Agreed on no rubber mulch.  Looks like crap after a while, if you get a hard rain and have any drains nearby, it can cause quite the clog and like @Pat L.  mentioned above, smells like a tire factory on a hot day.

I had rubber bark at my house for 8 years and loved it. It was playground quality, no splinters, no fading and it didn't float away. It did get hot in the direct sun (we get 110 degree days here). We put down weed cloth and never had weeds.

Another vote for hardscaping. color lasts forever and doesn't add artificial smells.

I looked into getting rubber mulch for under my kids' playhouse. It is enormously expensive. I ended up getting free mulch from an arborist/tree trimming company. They are happy to drop off as much as you want, and it didn't cost me anything.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)
I agree with all the other posts. It is nearly ten dollars a bag and most of it floats or flys away in the wind. Instead of using mulch which you have to refresh every year, I use decorative rock in my flower beds. Its about $60 a truck load here and it never needs to be replaced once it is shoveled in, less maintenance for sure.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you