Aluminum or vinyl gutters?

5 Replies

Hi all,

I need to have gutters replaced, question is to use either aluminum or vinyl?  I have a handyman who is charging $9.50 material (al) and labor which I'm guessing is closer to the higher end?  Also if anyone can recommend an installer in north Metro Atlanta, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

No vinyl.  Aluminum seamless. A good gutter company should have the equipment to make them on site to fit the home and should cost less than if you tried buying the materials at the big box store and doing it yourself. 

We have the seamless Al made on site for about $2/lin ft then have our guys put them up. I prefer the wider troughs. Meanwhile we are tearing down the sagging vinyl junk that was there before.

@jay - Use aluminum seamless gutters.  In the long term, they will outlast the vinyl and are more appealing.  There are always plenty of private installers with reasonable prices.  Try to get the larger trough and downspouts.  Will have far less issues in maintenance (cleanout, clogs, etc). 

Thanks everyone for the input!  I've decided to go with the aluminum seamless gutters, although the guy quoted 4 inches which may be a little small?  I'll ask if he can use 5 inches instead.

Originally posted by @Jay Y. :

Thanks everyone for the input!  I've decided to go with the aluminum seamless gutters, although the guy quoted 4 inches which may be a little small?  I'll ask if he can use 5 inches instead.

I always use 5" or 6" gutters and large 3"x4" downspouts for the reasons mentioned above.  I also install cleanouts if I'm routing piping underground in the event of a blockage.  PVC or nothing, don't use that cheap flexible stuff since it's darn near impossible to snake if the time ever comes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.