General HandyMan

11 Replies

I just found out my reliable handyman that I have met through college is moving in the next month. Any ideas on how to track down a good handy man ? I have a property management company in the Jacksonville, FL area that I have started and I need someone affordable, reliable and efficient.

I have tried craigslist but I get so many responses with jokers who are either don't have transportation, over priced or over booked. Just wanting to reach out for some advice.

@Mark Ferguson I just made a similar craigslist post down in Lauderdale and got 130 responses over the weekend. I think 15 were qualified, but if this doesn't work I will check out the local REIA meetings

Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson :

I just found out my reliable handyman that I have met through college is moving in the next month. Any ideas on how to track down a good handy man ? I have a property management company in the Jacksonville, FL area that I have started and I need someone affordable, reliable and efficient.

I have tried craigslist but I get so many responses with jokers who are either don't have transportation, over priced or over booked. Just wanting to reach out for some advice.

Why don't you charge more for your services so that you can afford to hire a "reliable and efficient " person?  If the prevailing wage in your area is 'X' and you can't afford 'X', perhaps you need to re-examine your business set-up. Just a suggestion...

Yeah, I have thought about that but I disagree fundamentally with the concept. I'm not looking for the cheapest guy, but a decent priced guy. I was really hoping my post would trigger some jacksonville keywords and someone would share their guy with me 😀

Hey @Mark Ferguson there is a lot of good online resources that rate handyman and you can get multiple online quotes.

Disclaimer: I am NOT affiliated with this company.

But I would suggest looking into www.thumbtack.com or www.redbeacon.com 

Thank you, I like the platform of thumbtack. I hope it works.

Try calling a top Realtor in your area who specializes in property management. 

They should have several solid referrals for you.

Thanks for the replies! So far Thumbtack.com has worked for me. Seems pretty great idea. I have put in several projects already from small to big. I wish I was Affiliated with this site.

Thank you @Johnathan Bonck

Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson :

Hello Mark I'm a handy man in the are of Jacksonville with a lot of experience on rentals and turn around as i have been a maintenance supervisor on the apartments industry for over 6 yrs please feel free to contact me if you need help on any of your projects I'm here working my self up as I'm looking to invest on real estate as well.

Hi Mark,

I use Joe Nordin somewhat regularly for smaller handyman-type jobs. He's an interesting character, but very honest, meticulous, and doesn't charge too much.

904-384-5089/ 904-477-5215

I just found a handyman today for a few small fixes. I regularly pop into the local Ace Hardware and got to know a few of the guys. When I say "know" I mean I know their names and all they knew is I'm in their store about once a week. Anyway, today I walked up to one of the guys who has always helped me out and I asked him if he ever did work on the side. Said he did. We walked the house and  said he'll get me a quote (materials/labor) in the next day or so. Nice thing is he said he can source 90% of the materials from his store - at his discount. He'll get a nice tip from me for Christmas!  
Just an idea, if it's not major stuff ( no permitting) Ace/HD/Lowes workers may be a decent start (if not they probably know others that would be qualified. Hope tat helps.

I know of a great handy man that has worked on fix and flips for investors. He is honest and hard working. His name is Daniel and he lives in Jacksonville. His work is awesome and not through the roof on cost. His number is 904-307-5075. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you