Both owners on vacant house are deceased now what???

6 Replies

So found a vacant boarded house and went to county website found out owners names..googled around and found out they are both dead...so now what?? get a hold of the children? If so how do I find out their names to start looking for them? Or is there another way?

Look for the county court that has records of people being appointed as personal representatives to administer estates.

First, make certain that there's plenty of equity to make this viable.

Go to county and check death certificates for listed next of kin. Obits may help but there may not be an obit for either decedent. 

Try skip tracer service to find offsprings, if any.

Subscribe to ancestry dot com and see if any relatives after building a family tree. 

May all be a pain.

We've encountered houses here in Georgia that were owned by estates and in some cases, the kids can't agree as to the disposition of the property and I've literally seen houses fall apart over the course of several years while the family squabbles were taking place.

It's much drier where you are so hopefully the properties have a longer "shelf life" but around here, an abandoned home doesn't last too long.

The municipality there probably wants their property taxes so maybe you can find out if those are being paid and by whom?

Regarding the above post, I have actually tracked down owners of abandoned properties and heard from them that their siblings were bickering over the options for the property so it wasn't on the market. One that I drive by often is just a vacant lot now as it was bulldozed a few years ago. It was definitely a viable fixer upper when we first inquired. I watched it deteriorate. Sad...

Originally posted by @John Teachout :

Regarding the above post, I have actually tracked down owners of abandoned properties and heard from them that their siblings were bickering over the options for the property so it wasn't on the market. One that I drive by often is just a vacant lot now as it was bulldozed a few years ago. It was definitely a viable fixer upper when we first inquired. I watched it deteriorate. Sad...

Experience and continual education has provided me many other tools, including a technique to deal with this very scenario that I call buying property "Pizza-by-the-Slice"

Rick H. Color me intrigued. Where can I learn more about this potentially delicious "Pizza-by-the-Slice" method?

BTW, I listened to The Hunting Club podcasts this week. Please tell me that one day there will be more stories!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you