Washer/dryer dishwasher in units

11 Replies

At what level unit do people include a washer/dryer dishwasher?  I like to rent to families and that is often an important piece.  My goal is to provide a good value to my renters.  Do people buy new with a warranty or used and dump them when they break?

@Lesley Resnick The only way we even consider providing a w/d is if the house is in single family in a good neighborhood.  

Our multi families we provide the hookup and leave it up to them to get the w/d or not.  The odds of an entire apartment building or multi-family respecting the equipment you have provided them like it's their own are not very good in my experience.  They will be responsible if it is their machine though.

Apartment buildings we provide tenants coin operated washers and dryers.

Anything else tenants are responsible for their own.

Everybody gets a Washer dryer hook up

Everybody gets a dish washer.  A dishwasher replaces one kitchen cabinet so that brings the price down anyway.  

@Lesley Resnick

I'll sound a different chorus than @Michael Noto .

We have moved from a common laundry room to en-suite laundry in all five our <=6 unit buildings  We are even in negotiations on two larger buildings, one of which has laundry hookups in each unit - I've already negotiated 16 laundry sets for $15K on the anticipation we will close on this building.

Our experience with a common laundry room and coin-op machines was:

• the capital outlay for the machines was 1.5+ times the cost of a high efficiency residential laundry set;
  • landlord carries the utilities and, typically, the coin-op laundry brought in enough revenue to cover its operating costs;
  • vandalism was greater with a common laundry room;
  • convenience to the tenant is lower with a common laundry room.

Since we moved to en suite laundry we have observed the following:

• utilities are in the hands of the tenants;
  • machines suffer less vandalism and, if damage does occur, we know who is responsible;
  • we can charge $30 - $50 more rent per month for the convenience.

We supply the laundry units principally because it a) reduces damage to the building of tenants trying to move their own laundry machines in and out, and b) we can be certain they are installed properly with overflow pans and floor drains.

When we started doing this we were told it would be a maintenance nightmare - a refrain often read here on BP - this has not been our experience.  We can purchase a new, front load, HE laundry set for $1000 - $1100 CAD.   Our experience - and industry data - indicates they either fail catastrophically in the first few months of use (manufacturing problem) while still under warranty, or last 8 - 10 years without major repair.

Last year, we bought four sets at one of the Big Box retailers on a 3-yr, no interest, payment plan - our monthly payment on each set of machines is $20 less than the rent increment we collect.  Additionally, appliances are a depreciable at a rate of 20%/year and considered for end-of-life after 5-years.  Between the incremental rent collected and the asset depreciation, a new set of laundry machines will have covered its upfront costs in two years (that is without counting the added benefit of zero interest payments over three years) ... or three years if the unit was not already plumbed and wired for laundry.   

The life of that laundry set beyond 2-years is money directly in your pocket - on top of the benefits of increased tenant satisfaction and lower turnover.

As for dishwashers, most of our units have a dishwasher, but we have two older, smaller (duplex, triplex) buildings which will have to wait until the kitchens are renovated before they receive dishwashers.

I have higher end loft units and I provide a stackable washer/dryer in each of those units. I have another building which is more modest and for that building I have coin ops in the basement.

If there are washer/dryer units in a home when we purchase it, we leave them there if the tenant desires and remove them if they have their own. We make it clear that this is not a typically supplied item and it's only there because it was there and we don't/won't repair them if they break.

Same with refrigerators, ie we don't supply them but leave them if one came with the house and they want to use it. We do supply and support range/dishwasher/hot water heater/ etc.

If it's a small house, we don't typically install a dishwasher if there wasn't one already there.

I think you have to answer this based on your own local market and what the tenant expectations are in that market.  Look at the ads for similar nearby rental properties and see what they have; to attract a tenant, those units will be your competition, and to compete you will have to supply the necessary amenities that the competition offers. 

And these things can change over time. A very experienced landlord in my area who has taught me a lot was having trouble renting one of his units. He had for many years always rented it without a refrigerator, expecting tenants to bring their own and for many years that worked. So I asked him whether he had surveyed what the nearby competition was offering, and he mentioned that a newer building was including refrigerators nearby. Well, that raises the tenants' expectations, and to compete he had to provide a refrigerator. And I believe that brought him a bit higher rent too. 

And sometimes constraints of a property will dictate how you handle this. I have a property with very narrow doorways, built around 1860. I supply the washer and dryer there, because the doorways are so narrow that the doors have to be removed, AND the doorstop trim has to be removed, to just barely squeeze those appliances through the doorway; and the choice of washer and dryer was constrained to models that had small enough dimensions to fit. 

It's OK to ask what others here do, but what  works in other local markets might be overkill where you are, or might be insufficient. So I don't really know the correct answer for you, but I hope I explained how you can get a good answer. 

I supply dishwashers in my units. Expecting a tenant to bring their own dishwasher is a bad idea IMO because it needs to be plumbed and wired into place. For W/D we provide hookups, though if I had a place like Steve mentioned I would also provide the W/D. I am always on the fence about W/D because you don't want to maintain it, but at the same time you don't want it hooked up improperly or the house beat to death bringing them in and out. Luckily, my units have W/D hookups immediately next to an outside door, so transporting is not a big issue. 

I supply refrigerators if tenants don't have their own. Our local market more or less dictates this approach. 

Originally posted by @JD Martin :

I supply dishwashers in my units. Expecting a tenant to bring their own dishwasher is a bad idea IMO because it needs to be plumbed and wired into place. For W/D we provide hookups, though if I had a place like Steve mentioned I would also provide the W/D. I am always on the fence about W/D because you don't want to maintain it, but at the same time you don't want it hooked up improperly or the house beat to death bringing them in and out. Luckily, my units have W/D hookups immediately next to an outside door, so transporting is not a big issue. 

I supply refrigerators if tenants don't have their own. Our local market more or less dictates this approach. 

I wouldn't expect that someone would "bring their own" dishwasher. On the units that don't have one, there is usually a reason and a tenant would not be allowed to install one. We have a house that we'll be rehabbing soon that is only two rooms plus a very small kitchen and bathroom. There just isn't room for a dishwasher as cabinet space is very limited. This unit would be for a single person or maybe a couple. They'll just have to wash dishes in the sink.

Hi, I couldn't get a qualified tenant and didnt understand why until a seemly qualified tenant mentioned that there was no laundry in my building.  She didnt want to use the laundromat in the neighborhood...but nice apartment. .. I checked other apartments and most offer w/d. Additionally, when consulting with a lease lawyer, she mentioned that her daughter recently had one installed in her rental unit...she was sooo happy!

@Lesley Resnick I've rented from a local company that handles the maintenance of them if they break down and I've also purchased from GE in bulk. It depends on your biz model and anticipated hold period.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here