Flooring advice

17 Replies

I am working on a fix and hold project and need to make some flooring decisions.  I generally use contractors or labor to do the work and I provide the materials.  No sense paying them to go and pick up the materials and charge me for it.

I have found at LOWES and Home deopt, regularly mark down tiles to well below a $1sq ft.  This is my preference, tile lasts and single tiles can be replaced.

I have been told that roll linoleum is a better way to go.  People have also advise me to use the peel and stick squares.

What is the best balance for short term cost and long term durability?   

Personally I would use tile or mid to high grade laminate if you want long term durability. I think your idea of discounted tile is the way to go, get the durability you want at a discounted price.

Hope this helps.

Go with tile. Cheap finishes attract cheap tenants. The curb side appeal and quality of the inside renovation determine the who wants to live in the home.

Just remember that when you buy the discounted tile, make sure you get plenty of extra. There will be tiles that need replaced and you don't want to find out that the tile you bought is discontinued and you can't get anything to match it. I always get an extra 50-100 sq ft depending on the price and store it in the attic.

Three of my rentals are in Florida and I always go with tile.  That's what everyone down there wants and its durable.  Like everyone else has said, make sure you get extras.

I can't believe people use peel and stick or rolled linoleum in anything but class D and maybe C properties. I like click lock laminate, can put down 900 square feet in a day with a helper.

discounted tile all the way, you'll attract better tenants, charge higher rent, have much greater durability, will more than cover the cost premium

Peel and Stick tiles make all the difference vs. roll on linoleum. The linoleum is so cheap looking I can't stand it if it's in any apartments that I own. P&S works great in older homes with some settlement in the floors. Spend a little bit of money, you'll have a more attractive looking place that good tenants will appreciate.

Sounds like close out tile is the winner!

Durability and curb appeal.  I just need to remember to buy extra.

Cheap tiles are thin and so they crack easily.  Plus you will constantly deal with dirty grout. Consider the Armstrong Allure vinyl flooring planks sold at Home Depot.  Reasonable price, a floating floor in case you get foundation movement,  durable, and super easy and quick to install.  Plus they look good.  Check out many posts on this flooring on BP.

I agree with Larry.  I have recently put vinyl plank flooring in a property and have had such positive results I will put these floors in my properties in the future.  No prep work on the subfloor, it adjusts well to changing temps and also is extremely easy to clean. 

I agree with Larry and Greg. I have laid a mile of tile in kitchens and baths but recently had a customer ask for the Allure flooring. Less work involved in putting down and the better grades are waterproof. Which is great if installed on wood sub floor. If installed on concrete it lays pretty flat as well. Its definitely an option I give customers now.

I see you are in Jacksonville I'm going to assume most houses are on a slab and I would tile like others have suggested buy extra some times discounted tiles sizes are off. The only person that catches it is the installer but it can throw a layout off. Also spring for a premium grout sealer, dirty grout can be steam cleaned relatively easy if it has been sealed well. Plus if some tiles break you have spare tiles to replace them....so buy an extra bag of grout so when and if you have to replace them in the future the grout will match : )

For what its worth, I would personally use a porcelain tile simply for the durability and aesthetics. A ceramic tile is made of clay so when damaged or chipped it will be seen as a dark clay material. A quality made porcelain tile, tends to chip with the same inter material as the outer material make up. Hope this helps.

Florida, I would go with tile. I am looking at a 194 unit property and I am going to use tile on the down units

We have added vinyl, carpet and tile over the years in our units and the tile has been the best way to go.  Other than the grout showing stains (which can be cleaned) the tile hasn't cracked or had to replace any.  We bought our tile from a small local seconds store for $0.40 per foot.  It has been laid down now for 7 years, I think we made a good decision.

A product I have been using with great success is vinyl plank flooring. Similar to sheet vinyl but in plank form like laminate flooring. It goes down super easy, is remarkably inexpensive, looks great and holds up over time. It too can be replaced by the strip if damaged. For me, this is the best product on the market right now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here