how to dump construction garbage in North Jersey

17 Replies

We are working on our first fix-up rental property in North Jersey. we took out the old carpet and took out the old drop ceilings, so quite a lot of garbage. How do you dump the garbage and how much does it usually cost?

@Diana Tian Get on google maps and search for disposal or dumpster.  The companies that pick up trash often also do commercial dumpsters.  Call two or three up and ask how much for a 20-yard dumpster.  (To see how big they are simply google 20 yard dumpster and select Images.)

You can get a large dumpster delivered, fill it up with trash and have it hauled off for generally no about $500.

Originally posted by @Larry T. :

@Diana Tian Get on google maps and search for disposal or dumpster.  The companies that pick up trash often also do commercial dumpsters.  Call two or three up and ask how much for a 20-yard dumpster.  (To see how big they are simply google 20 yard dumpster and select Images.)

You can get a large dumpster delivered, fill it up with trash and have it hauled off for generally no about $500.

Thanks Larry! Can we keep the dumpster over night and have them pick up the next day? 

search for a "cleanout" guy. they are about  $300 for a large pickup truck with full height walls on bed.

Originally posted by @Larry K. :

search for a "cleanout" guy. they are about  $300 for a large pickup truck with full height walls on bed.

Thank you! 

Originally posted by @Diana Tian :
Originally posted by @Larry T.:

Thanks Larry! Can we keep the dumpster over night and have them pick up the next day? 

You can generally keep it as long as you need it. A month or two is not uncommon.  There should not be any per day fee. 

In some areas, if you want to "park" a dumpster on the street, you will need a permit for that purpose from the municipality. 

I would expect to pay closer to $700 in nj. The companies I've delt with also do charge a late fee for dumpsters held over 2 weeks.

I shopped around and found "fast dumpsters" to be the cheapest. DO NOT USE THEM. It took over two months after I called for pickup for them to actually remove the dumpster. In the end I paid more for weight overage. They were a 3rd party middle man. 

My advice would be to get a slightly bigger dumpster than needed and work directly with the company. 

@Diana Tian , Do you have access to a pickup truck? I find it to be cheapest to haul the debris myself to the transfer station. The station is run by the county and charges by weight. 

Wait till trash day , sit by the curb with cold drinks and cash and wait for the trash truck . I gutted my own residence , and 90% of the debris was picked up by the  trash truck

Man, I'm glad I'm in SC. Here, a dumpster is 300 no matter the size. You can keep it as long as you want. They deliver the day after you call and pick up the day after usually. I probably would still get the dumpster for 700, though. Makes the whole process smoother

thanks all!  I got a clean-out contact from a local investor and ended up paying 250. 

Originally posted by @Kenneth B. :

@Diana Tian , Do you have access to a pickup truck? I find it to be cheapest to haul the debris myself to the transfer station. The station is run by the county and charges by weight. 

Not an option in JC any more. stopped more than a decade ago.

Diana, haven't you seen the dumped garbage back by the Science Center or under the turnpike on Monmouth? THAT'S the way it's done here!  

OK, this is a serious issue, how to play nice with the JC garbagemen and get them to take as much of your stuff as possible. Technically they don't have to take "construction debris" but success can be had if it looks like DIY, it's small and light, under 30lb, and don't put out too much at once. EX: you can put out entire kitchen cabinets, but not a whole kitchen at once. You can put out bundles of demo lumber, ceiling tiles or carpet as long as they're not longer than 4', not too heavy, and not more than 2 or 3 at once. Trickle it out. I have totally put 700 sq ft of carpet and pad and a kitchen on the curb, just not all at once.

My favorite trick is when I have a lot of cement or plaster from a minor demo (my walls weigh like 20lb /sq ft). They'd never take contractor bags with nothing but 30lb of rubble. I dump 10lb in each of the household trash cans in my multifamily every collection day til it's gone. 

You contact your local affiliate of the Gambino family...

Originally posted by @Johann Jells :
Originally posted by @Kenneth B.:

@Diana Tian, Do you have access to a pickup truck? I find it to be cheapest to haul the debris myself to the transfer station. The station is run by the county and charges by weight. 

Not an option in JC any more. stopped more than a decade ago.

Diana, haven't you seen the dumped garbage back by the Science Center or under the turnpike on Monmouth? THAT'S the way it's done here!  

OK, this is a serious issue, how to play nice with the JC garbagemen and get them to take as much of your stuff as possible. Technically they don't have to take "construction debris" but success can be had if it looks like DIY, it's small and light, under 30lb, and don't put out too much at once. EX: you can put out entire kitchen cabinets, but not a whole kitchen at once. You can put out bundles of demo lumber, ceiling tiles or carpet as long as they're not longer than 4', not too heavy, and not more than 2 or 3 at once. Trickle it out. I have totally put 700 sq ft of carpet and pad and a kitchen on the curb, just not all at once.

My favorite trick is when I have a lot of cement or plaster from a minor demo (my walls weigh like 20lb /sq ft). They'd never take contractor bags with nothing but 30lb of rubble. I dump 10lb in each of the household trash cans in my multifamily every collection day til it's gone. 

Thanks! good suggestion. I will switch contractor bags back to household trash. how do you be nice with garbagemen? do you meet or talk to? 

Originally posted by @Diana Tian :
 Thanks! good suggestion. I will switch contractor bags back to household trash. how do you be nice with garbagemen? do you meet or talk to? 

I try and avoid them, though some like to schmooze them and even pay them some cash. Not my area of expertise. Wish it was, would have helped with the Buildings Dept! 

Did you see the national story about the recycling collectors soliciting booze payments from the Downtown bar Pint?

Originally posted by @Richard C. :

You contact your local affiliate of the Gambino family...

Not a joke around here, scenes for the Sopranos were filmed up the street.  And the head of the Incinerator Authority just resigned in disgrace after his subordinate brother and some associates were arrested for graft, specifically taking payments for mixing construction debris in with household collections!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here