Truth about real estate

6 Replies

Nobody is willing to teach in this business nobody wants to really show a newbie how to actually wholesale their first house or take them a long the journey step by step. It's hard but I won't give up feel like everything I've been studying is a lie

No free lunch...

go on one of the on line websites and buy a used  Guru information package. there will be plenty of good information in there and you only have to pay a hundred bucks or so for it.

But your right if you expect someone to just take you under their wing and teach you all their tricks your expectations need to be altered.  There might be some folks that will mentor out of the goodness of their heart.. But I have not run into any.

You may want to see who the big wholesalers are in your area buy one lunch and offer to work for free for them bird dogging or whatever they need done... this will teach you bizz and if you bring them a deal they will normally cut you in for a piece if they buy it or flip it.

Keep your day job and enroll into RE school to get your RE license this will get you interacting with like minded individuals.. Go to some local RIA's again a good place to network they are full of newbies.. and there will always be a few at those meetings that are doing well and want to expand their newbie networks.

good luck with it.  RE is a VERY demanding business that takes hours and years to learn and you starve in the beginning normally.

Unfortunately the real world doesn't work the way people are taught today. Not everyone gets the trophy and the free ride. If you want something you need to earn it and find a way on how to learn it. And to learn is typically not free. You can read all the articles and books but experience is the best way to learn. While everyone thinks wholesaling is the way to start because you don't need money unfortunately it's not that easy as you need $ to send letters and need to know how much to pay which comes with experience. As noted in a prior post - get a real estate license and start getting educated on process and pricing. It will not happen overnight and it will take years before you may become successful I. Real estate investing. If it was that easy then everyone making minimum wage would be doing it.

@Jovante Foreman reframe that. You haven't found anybody to mentor you YET.  Persevere in learning. Persevere in finding a way to add value to another investor in exchange for training.  And no whining. 

thank you guys for the advice, iknow it takes a lot of work to be successful in this business i rather not waste money on a guru that only talks about what he wants to tal about though but im sure ill manage ill keep applying myself thanks again

I think you need to start thinking about what you bring to the table for the mentor. In sales it's never the buyers fault something went wrong it's the sellers. And right now you are selling yourself to potential mentors. Do you have cash that they can borrow or a long list of applicable skills? Probably not. But do you have a can do attitude? Are you willing to meet a plumber at 3:30 on a Saturday morning at one of his apartments for an emergency? Possibly. Would you paint an apartment that he is turning over because his painters are busy working on other units? Possibly. You are very correct in that people do things out of self motivation. So start thinking about what it is you can do for a mentor not the other way around and one will literally fall into your lap.

@Jovante Foreman Don't give up! Following on other's replies and suggestions.

Learn as much as you can off sites like BP, Youtube, etc. There is so much free online information you don't need a guru or his fees to get the same information. 

Then, start networking like a mad-dog. Once you show that you have a positive, can-do attitude, that will give people a better impression of who you are and what your goals are. You need to have a plan rather than just saying I want to wholesale.

An investor is usually too busy with projects to slice off some time to work with a newbie. However, if that newbie is ready to take on some of the pain and help them out, they get the help and you get what you want. 

Nothing saying you can't do anything. Sometimes, waiting until the right time is also a good strategy. Know your business, know your goals, network yourself, and keep plugging along.

And right, don't whine. We've, well some of us, have been where you are.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here