Frameless glass shower door

5 Replies

Philadelphia.

My bathroom has a tiled shower stall (3 wall alcove). The finished opening is 30.25 inches wide. I would like to replace my curtain with a frameless glass door.

I'v reached out to Gordon and Sons because they are right around the corner, but they are closed today.

Recommendations welcome.

I am pretty handy, but I could see this being a good idea to have professionally done just in case I have any problems.

Frameless will have to swing outward, so you will need to be free of obstructions in the direction of swing. And you WILL get water on the floor, since there will be gaps. That might or might not be a problem for you. 

Unless this is an upscale house, I wouldn't spend the dollars on it.  I put it in my personal house and it was a couple of grand.   The company had to come out 4 times the first 6 months to keep it from leaking.   I agree with Steve Babiak that they will leak.  Ours did and we ended up putting a piece of plastic molding at the bottom for a better seal.

I have a small shower stall. Preliminary research has doors coming in around $300.

Floors are recently tiled so I'm not to worried about a little water.

The toilet is a bit close so I'll have to measure for that.

@Max Tanenbaum  Tempered glass is required around here and it is expensive.  I would estimate  $1,200. to $1,500. for that size door. Leaking depends on where the shower head is located.  Unless it's directly opposite the spray, it shouldn't be a problem (I assume you have a properly sloped curb).  The frameless panels are sort of designed to have gaps as it allows steam to escape. 

buy a plastic shower kit or hire someone. As @Account Closed said the glass must be tempered and you will need to submit a layout to the glass fabricator with your hinge layouts. If you are off by even an 1/8 of an inch it wont work right.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you