Question to vinyl plank tolerances

7 Replies

I would like to put down vinyl plank in a kitchen. The Trafficmaster specs say no more than 1/4" unevenness over a 10 ft stretch. The kitchen has twice the amount. So my question to experienced vinyl plank users is will the planks take 1/2"or is the 1/4" measure really the upper limit and not just a value that is determined for long term warranties. I have not settled on the kinds of vinyl planks and would be even open to sheet vinyl if I find any good looking ones. The stuff that the big box retailers store doesn't cut it.

We have a professional install our vinyl plank floors. We use the TrafficMaster Ultra click type planks. Our floor installer levels the floor with a floor floating compound. You can google and see the material and how this is done. Your flooring will go down better, wear better, and the warranty will remain effective if you follow the manufacturer installation instructions.

Marcia Maynard, Fischer Properties | Podcast Guest on Show #83

I would probably recommend a 3mm or thicker glue down and not a floating LVP. While it will conform to your irregularities it won't telegraph imperfection like a thinner one. Marcia also gave you some good advice if you're convinced on using floating system.

use a thicker floor covering if the subfloor is a little uneven or shows some sign of rot.  You could also cheat the subfloor with luan or 1/2" osb to make it even

Thank you for your responses. I just looked at the kitchen again and the main problem is that the floor is sagging towards the middle at a rate of 1/2" every 10 ft. The actual surface is very smooth. It is a fully glued, high quality, glossy, and very ugly sheet vinyl. It ruins the look of the whole kitchen. The planks to ward the center of the kitchen  would end up with curvature. Nobody had the local home depot had a recommendation besides reading the installation instructions.

Why is the floor sagging? And can that be remedied?

Originally posted by @Andreas W. :

@John Teachout It is 100 year old house.

That may be, (I have two properties that were built in 1900) and I understand that "level" didn't seem to be as much of a priority in those days but if there is a sag because the timbers or structure are bowing due to a long span, it may not take much to put a 4x6 down the middle and a couple of jack posts to either bring it back up or at least keep it from further sagging.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you