Getting Permit in Garden Grove California

3 Replies

My company have recently purchased  a flip property in Garden Grove California and I want to see if anyone have experience with the city.  They said that they are builder friendly, but offers no over the counter or expediting options.  Currently we are told that permit time frame is 4-6 weeks, but other cities I've worked with said the same and come back less than 2 weeks.  Is Garden Grove the same?  Please let me know. Thanks. 

we did a full renovation in GG  7 months ago and it took 2 1/2 weeks to get permits. Hope this helps.

I'll be doing a reno soon in GG. Do I need permits for basic stuff inside my home. Flooring, kitchen & bathroom

Originally posted by @Akash Y. :

I'll be doing a reno soon in GG. Do I need permits for basic stuff inside my home. Flooring, kitchen & bathroom

The official answer is yes, you need a permit in order to wipe your bottom in CA. The real answer is it depends on the intended use of the property, how extensive the renos are, and what your risk tolerance is. 

If you are gutting kitchens & bathrooms, opening up walls, altering the floorplan, relocating or otherwise upgrading plumbing and electric, and then the plan is to immediately flip the property and you don't wish to get sued into oblivion after the sale if anything should go wrong, then yes, pull permits and used a licensed, bonded general contractor.

If on the other hand this is your personal residence and you just want to paint, change some trim and flooring, and freshen up the bathrooms and kitchen without gutting or moving stuff around, then you may be ok without permits.

There are many shades of gray between those scenarios too ...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.