Miter saw with specs

14 Replies

I've been looking at buying a miter saw but there's lots to choose from.  Given the price range, I'd like to spend my money wisely.

For you true DIY'ers, what features do you need and are willing to pay more for?  My work in the past has been cutting with a hand saw or circular saw but it was small amounts of work.  I may need to be doing more volume now, need to be more efficient and productive plus I simply like having an excuse for buying new equipment.  :-)

I am an avid DIYer and I recently (1 year ago) purchased a hitcahi 12" double bevel miter saw from lowes. It the green one and it is very heavy (12" blade) I try not to move it often once its on the stand at location but the saw is excellent. It has power and control and is very affordable in my opinion, I bought it for $199. Look up the reviews on Lowes and you'll see how happy people are with it.
P.s. It's time to put the hand saw behind you.

@Brad Smith It really depends on the kind of work you will use it for, i.e. trim, framing, both, etc. Any of the major brands are decent; go to the store and see which one feels right to you.  As a general rule though: always buy the best tool you can afford. Cheap tools are seldom a good value 

Thanks, I can "afford" top of the line but I don't think I need it.  Although I would always love to buy "the best," I also don't like to buy stuff I don't really need.  Mostly just trim work if that helps.  

I like the cheap ones sold at harbor freight ($80-90).  They can handle the bigger trim because they are the sliding type.  Haven't found them to be inferior in any way to any other brand.  I also use a hand saw and miter box if I'm in a pinch or if I left my miter saw somewhere else and don't want to buy another miter saw for a small job.

I would check out the 10 in. Miter Saw at Harbor Freight.   Has good reviews and for little trim work and etc, it should last you a very long time.  I've had the same Central Pneumatic air compressor from there for 15 years.

Budget friendly saw for sure.

Justin

If you're on a budget I would hit up the local pawn shops. You can find really great tools for good prices. Tools that are built correctly will last and last and last so the fact that the pawns shop tools are used does not bother me.

Hmmmm, despite wanting to buy the best, I think I'll "invest" in a cheap unit up front and see what works/doesn't work for me before I buy the one I'll keep forever.  Maybe use Michael's suggestion of a pawn shop.  I think it would be worth $100 or less for the time being just to learn for myself what I'll need long term.

Thanks!

I did buy the 10" Sliding compound miter saw from Harbor Freight. It does a nice job, but I don't expect it to last forever. I would highly recommend a sliding miter saw though.

Originally posted by @Stephen Bell :

I am an avid DIYer and I recently (1 year ago) purchased a hitcahi 12" double bevel miter saw from lowes. It the green one and it is very heavy (12" blade) I try not to move it often once its on the stand at location but the saw is excellent. It has power and control and is very affordable in my opinion, I bought it for $199. Look up the reviews on Lowes and you'll see how happy people are with it.
P.s. It's time to put the hand saw behind you.

it's called "compound cut". 

as long as u know how to use it to make accurate cuts,  they are all about the same.  my circular saw is $30 Sears off brand.  it's the blade that counts my ryobi crappy chop saw is 15 yrs old.  how many 5imes will u do crown molding?  never?  then  why get one that does it? 

@George P. actually, I have done crown molding for my house. It is sometimes easier to do a bevel cut on a 16ft piece of trim if I don't have someone holding the other side as well. For me, my saw is perfect and it was reasonably priced for my needs, only $100 more than a harbor freight one, and has a lot more capabilities and versatility. I also lend it (to my close friends) and they enjoy it. If something works better for you then go for it. This forum was asking for opinions so I gave mine.

Miter saw is definitely one of my favorite tools, and a good one is a pleasure to use.  Best if you can try them out, because they are definitely not all the same.  You can prove this to yourself by trying consecutive models at 100, 250, and 500 dollar price points.  

Cheap tools are generally frustrating not only because they wear out faster, but also because they are not as accurate.  

Accuracy is relative in the world of DIY, however...  some folks are fine with junk tools and a big tube of caulk.   

I would suggest a sliding compound miter saw.  It allows you to cut wider boards.

In my experience, power tools from Harbor Freight do not last long and are intended for very low use.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you