• Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
DIY odor removal

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Oct 6 2015, 15:54

Hey everyone,

Once again I find myself in a situation where I think I am being ripped off and could do a certain job much more cheaply on my own.    As I might have mentioned before, I recently acquired a multi-unit rental property, and the (former) tenants living in one had no concept of personal hygiene.  When the deal closed, the kitchen ran rampant with roaches, the carpets were filthy, and the place just had a musty, roach-y smell throughout.

The carpets are ripped out and most of the roaches are gone now.  I'm dealing with three challenges: 1) roach residue in the kitchen cabinets 2) floor under the carpet is kinda gross 3) still not the best smell in the unit

I contacted a company about what they would do and they wanted $150 for just an inspection and estimated treating the place (cleaning all surfaces, ozone machine, etc.) would cost thousands.  Yeah, not happening.  Here is my plan to clean the place and get rid of smell - anything else you would recommend doing?

Kitchen: clean and scrub cabinets with water/ammonia/vinegar/baking soda solution.  Second scrup with lysol spray.  Caulk all cracks in floors, cabinets, etc.  Will ultimately replace cabinets next year

Rooms:  Paint over walls, remove popcorn ceiling.  Planning to put laminate in for the floor.  Would you recommend doing anything before doing the flooring (see pictures attached)?

Loading replies...