Cleaning Carpets, Do it Yourself?

7 Replies

Simple question;  When tenants move out do you always hire a professional carpet cleaning company, or is it cost saving to do it yourself?  Is the work worth the time you save? 

Well, it might be less money out of pocket to do it yourself, but also what's the value on your time to take driving out there and doing it yourself?

Who cleans the rest of the unit? I'm sure the tenants didn't leave it so clean you didn't have to do some sort of dusting or scrubbing.

Groupon and Living Social (depending on your area) always has deals on carpet cleaning and home cleaning. Just an option.

My biggest problem with DIY carpet clean is that unless you buy an expensive cleaner, you're doing little more than a regular vacuum does. The pros are much quicker and their equipment cleans much better. In my book, this one always gets hired out.

I write into every lease that the tenants must have a professional carpet cleaner come service the house when they move out, and they must provide me with the reciept. 

I do most of my maintenance myself, but carpet cleaning is not one of those things. If it must be done, it is one of the simplest and least expensive things to hire out. I'd happily pay a pro to come do the job. 

The last time I bought carpet, I bought the kind you can actually clean with bleach and not hurt it.  My last renters lived in the house for about a year and left the carpet looking like new.  Wish they had left the tub/shower in same condition,,,but it can be cleaned I guess.  Crazy people,,,, have a spotless house,,,dont EVER clean the shower tub,,,never turn on the hi efficiency natural gas furnace(high bill is less than a hundred dollars in COLDEST month,and each side of that half maybe), heat with electric space heaters for 3 times the cost(must have half froze to death doing it),,,go figure,,,takes all kinds I guess.  Plus it wasnt a mater of getting service,,,they had it on in their name,,,but never used it.

But back to carpet cleaning,,,even one of those rental rug doctors cant match a pro cleaner

I bought a Bissel BIg Green Deep Cleaning Machine.  It was an investment for sure, but totally worth it.  I use it in my own home and on our cars, and also on the rentals.  I bill the tenants for my time as necessary.  The price on this machine seems to go up and down weekly on Amazon, I grabbed it on sale for $345.

The first time I cleaned the carpet in my own house I was amazed at what it got out.  First time I cleaned the carpet in one of the rentals I was SHOCKED at what it got out.

you want to hire a company that is van mounted so it can reach the required temperature to be effective. most of these machines/companies don't do this.

Thanks for all of the advice.  I will hire professionals next time.  By the way, the new family I moved into one of my rentals cleans houses / apartments for a living.  They did all the cleaning at move-in and I just deducted from rent.  I will most likely pay them to clean it on the way out if relations remain good.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you