How to measure moisture in crawlspace

5 Replies

In a few of my rental properties, the crawlspaces have a lot of moisture and mold in them. I have a plan of attack to deal with the issue, but I'm looking for a specific tool that you all would recommend to measure moisture/humidity in the crawlspace? I'd like to carefully monitor the moisture to make sure that what I'm doing is actually helping. Thanks!

@Zac P. There are probably several good methods but I just use a regular, hand-held moisture meter to measure the moisture content of the floor joists.  In an unconditioned crawl space, you would want to see readings between 12-16% MC.  

Out of curiosity, what's your "...plan of attack"?  

@Zac P. you need a hygrometer.  You can find thermometers at home centers for about $20 that also have a hygrometer built in.  It will measure the relative humidity (RH) and track the high and low readings for a 24 hour period.

@Zac P. yes, @Matt Clark is right, a hygrometer will measure local RH, and you may also want a hard-probe wood moisture meter as mentioned by @Account Closed , these are pretty cheap on ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wood-moisture-meter

I am wondering if anyone knows the best method... I can imagine that RH would eventually (or quickly?) affect lumber moisture readings, and also that RH can vary tremendously over the course of a day. A buddy of mine had to get logging RH meters for his containers coming in from Asia, and the readings were all over the charts - you could see when they hit the open water (vs inland shipping channels), and the readings varied 30%-50% during a 24 hour cycle. These were more than $10 though. Best of luck!

Some good measuring advice here... and what worked on my fourplex was a really good vapor barrier (over a bare earth floor) with no gaps, even up against wall. Then plenty of ventilation. There are some equations and such for the amount you need. And, of course, a very good sump pump hard piped to the gutter (I like the Zoeller). I hate going down there.... but an occupational hazard... but at least it is dry and airy...Best of luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you