Two opinions on painting the exterior of a rental property?

5 Replies

I am in the process of fixing up my rental property and figured I would get a quote on painting the exterior of the house. I asked two buy and hold investors that I know about what they thought about painting the exterior of the property. Investor A told me they wouldn't paint the outside of the property since in that area it will not attract better quality tenants (Investor A owns a lot of rental properties in the area). Investor B told me it would be worth it to paint the exterior of the property since it would attract better quality tenants (Investor B does not own any rentals in this area). Each of them has given me great advice in the past, Whose advice would you listen to?

i would go with A he knows the market and ivests in the area.If the property needs painting as far as upkeep you should paint it to save costs down the road,or you plan to sell it

If the goal is to protect the siding and extend the life of the building because of peeling paint and sun damage, I would paint. If the paint is fine, but the color scheme is just ugly or unattractive, it's a very different question @Alex Maclagan !

The outside does matter.  You may or may not be able to get $50 more in rent because it looks good, but the quality tenants will tend to apply, not just drive by!

@Alex Maclagan

Exterior painting can be incredibly costly.  I'm inclined to trust A's advise ... since he has the first-hand knowledge.  Painting is a great way to get more money when you sell a house ... it's not as a return on monthly rent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you