No more gas

6 Replies

I just bought a duplex and am fixing it up before renting it out. There is a gas water heater  in the kitchen and we are moving it under the house (pier and beam (yes there is plenty of room down there for a short boy water heater)) but the plumber said we could not do gas under the house because of code issues and he does not feel comfortable putting one down there because if there is a gas leak it'll seep through the bottom of the house. Not a problem, we decided to go with an electric model. There is a gas stove and gas outlets in every room to plug in space heaters. Plumber suggested that I completely remove all the gas outlets since gas space heaters are dangerous and the window units have a heat option which is fine for our "winters" in south Texas.

If I do away with the gas water heater and the gas outlets that would only leave gas for the stove. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have that be electric as well. I know gas is cheaper but all the bills will be in the tenants name and not having any gas in the house would help me from a liability point of view because if something were to go wrong with gas it usually does not end well.

Just wondering your thoughts on doing away with gas completely.

Originally posted by @Michael McCartney :

If I do away with the gas water heater and the gas outlets that would only leave gas for the stove. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have that be electric as well. I know gas is cheaper but all the bills will be in the tenants name and not having any gas in the house would help me from a liability point of view because if something were to go wrong with gas it usually does not end well.

The same can be said of electric. I can see removing gas supplies in bedrooms since they're obsolete, but I wouldn't absorb that expense on a "what if" when it's common practice to use gas for cooking. 

@Nicholas B. I will mention that the house is gutted and removing the gas line is as easy as taking my sawz-all and cutting it out. There will be an additional expense for running the additional wiring for the electric stove but that should not be that expensive, especially since everything is gutted.

What type of area are you in what how will the house be finished? I know a lot of high end cooks like gas, but my wife and I personally don't like it for cooking (I love it for heating and WH though!)

If your in a nice area, you might want to consider keeping the gas stove. If its a lower area, then that might sway me towards removing gas completely and that would save the tenant a seperate bill.

I remove all the gas water heaters in my units, regardless of my intentions with the property. There's a zillion things that could and will go wrong with a gas unit. If it's a cheaper property I'll change the cook stove to electric, if not I'll see what the market is doing. I usually leave the gas hvac system alone, unless I have to change it and then I try to go with a heat pump system. I've discovered that it takes a tenant with an average iq to, to handle a gas serviced house :)

@Andrew Meyer

Yea that is a good point. On one of my other rentals the tenant is a head chef and loves the gas stove. I've been thinking a lot about it the past 48 hours and with the point you made about tenants liking the gas stove I think I want to leave it. I also saw the yearly operating cost (yellow sticker that comes with appliances and water heaters) of water heaters and the gas is about $300 a month less to operate. I think I am now leaning towards keeping the gas water heater and placing it on the back of the house.

Originally posted by @Michael McCartney :

I just bought a duplex and am fixing it up before renting it out. There is a gas water heater  in the kitchen and we are moving it under the house (pier and beam (yes there is plenty of room down there for a short boy water heater)) but the plumber said we could not do gas under the house because of code issues and he does not feel comfortable putting one down there because if there is a gas leak it'll seep through the bottom of the house. Not a problem, we decided to go with an electric model. There is a gas stove and gas outlets in every room to plug in space heaters. Plumber suggested that I completely remove all the gas outlets since gas space heaters are dangerous and the window units have a heat option which is fine for our "winters" in south Texas.

I live in Washington State and gas here is cheap, but so is electric. I will say the most gas appliance today are very safe to use and not like it was years ago. I also a Combo building inspector so I can  tell you that the code also has change to better protect people. I like the idea of have gas appliances ...yes even in rentals because even though most renters have to pay their own utilities you can safe them money and usually attract better renters in my opinion.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you