Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jake Recz
  • Manville, NJ
Votes |
Romex wire running through the same hole as plumbing vent?

Jake Recz
  • Manville, NJ
Posted Nov 20 2015, 19:23

Hello guys. I haven't been here lately since I'm spending all my time fixing the house I just bought. So I'm doing the bathroom wiring today and I came upon a few things that surprised me wiring wise. I'll try to add pictures if the app lets me. 

1. Some of the old bathroom wiring was run parallel to the bathroom vent. It's new Romex not BX cable so I want to leave it, but... Is this acceptable code wise? The wire is touching the metal plumbing in some places along the run. 

2. The same wiring looks to be fished through behind the galvanized vent pipe that goes through the roof. It's touching the galvanized pipe. Is that acceptable? 

Pictures below

Is this acceptable by electric code? I don't want the inspector to come out here for an inspection and give me a hard time about this. I spoke with the guy once and I don't wanna call him and ask either as to not annoy him before the inspection... So what do you think? It looks ok to me. The wires are not pinched or anything. On the other hand I'm just an investor doing the work... Your opinions are greatly appreciated! 

Loading replies...