Lowes vs Home Depot vs Menards

26 Replies

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

The Lowes in my area has the best contractor program.

5% off everything: sometimes more on big items/orders.  

I email my guy a materials list by 2pm. He has it delivered tomorrow morning for $25.

He will also do things like check special order returns inventory and scratch and dent appliances or load my order into a cart if I  need it that day.

This caused me to almost entirely switch from Menards to Lowes.

Still go to Home Depot for vinyl plank flooring and on sale glass backplash tile.

I like to shop at lowes and home depot, respectively. It always depends on what you are looking for and with time you will be acquainted with those three stores and see which one you like more and why. 

In my experience I've found that each place has it's pros/cons.  Home Depot is closest to me right now so I go there for many things however I've found that the Menards near me has a much better selection of wood for other things besides framing.  I also tend to like Menards Lights better.  

I like Lowes selection of tile more than the others too.  

Home depot is better for rough in materials, plumbing, electrical lumber etc. and is more directed towards contractors. I feel Lowes has a better selection of finish products, flooring and fixtures. They are the same distance for me and I go to each about 50% of the time. Menards is a garage sale with low quality and the worse tools ever. I can't justify buying my materials for a job at the same place I can buy a frozen pizza and canned meats. Plus Menards is not dog friendly. Our dog loves to go to Lowes and HD and the workers all know him by name and give him treats.

Good luck and look on Ebay for 10% off coupons to Lowes and HD.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you