Things that make you go hmmmmm.

18 Replies

I thought this was an interesting listing.

http://www.metrolistpro.com/homes/6/2/651-NORTH-ROSE-STREET-TURLOCK-CA-95380/15074559

Going through it,  Im thinking Ok..room..not bad...ok another room and then Oh wow! ..Ok I guess...

I just thought it was a little much for the  house..but that's just me...

Do you have any to share?

I sure wouldn't pay that much money for that house! Granted I live in Pennsylvania and have NO idea what the housing market out there in Cali looks like...but that last room with just the bare bones...hmm....does it need electricity still in that room? What IS that room supposed to even be? Is that another angle of the (unfinished) garage? Looking at Google maps, the house looks like it's in the middle of nowhere and the closest city seems to be San Jose which is...2 hours away? It seems over priced if you ask me. Are you looking to live here yourself or rent it out?

Looks like an unfinished garage for sure. And at the back of the garage is the "laundry" area for washer and dryer. You can see the water hookups, black drain line and the dryer vent and 220 outlet.

I'm in East Texas that that house would sit on the market for a VERY long time at that price haha

$160K around here can get you a nice home on a 10+ ac of land occasionally.

I am sure that room is the garage as well.

Its has a champagne bathroom on a beer budget house! I would think the owners did that...I would not if I had that as a rental.

Prices are definitely an issue when comparing them to other areas.

I have a rental in North Texas and this house would be about 40000!!

But it is California...and the potential for % higher appreciation is a draw!!

@Mary lou L.  thats about right for Turlock.. google it is in the sticks a bit.. 

now take that same house put it in Palo Alto and its worth 1.7 million as it sits.. so its all relative in CA  location location location.. In our market in Pdx it would go for 200 to 250 depending on area of town just for perspective

Some parts of that house are so different from the rest I think it hurts the value.  Putting only $4,000 or $5,000 more would make it much nicer.  Good luck on it.  Find a way to get that house to make money for you.

Boy Exxon called and they want their bathroom back.  I love the cleaning products still sitting out in the photos.  Could be someone doing a flip on the cheap.  Maybe the family inherited the house and did a low budget face lift.  If it was in my area I'd look up the deed online to figure it out.  

This is how I picture flips turning out when people flip out of state :)   

Just think if it looks this odd in the photos you know it looks even worse in person.

You really would be surprised at the area! 

Of course this is in the older part of Turlock. Look at the homes north just south of Taylor road to give an idea of the new construction in the area! 

Turlock had really changed as a few other towns have, along the 99, in the last 20 years! And it is all  for the better! :)

I didn't mean to disparage Turlock per se - - it's just not a metro / growth area and certainly beyond commute range of any that is.  Stockton and Fresno are in deep economic problems so don't expect much help there.  Good investments are in growth areas, stable employment and rising populations.

Well they did just get a Buffalo Wild Wings lol!! A new brewery is under construction so someone us investing big bucks! 

And an Applebee's is opening up in Atwater in a few months. 

I am waiting for a prime shine carwash in Livingston!! 

I like it myself, very versatile room...Garage/Laundry room.  Throw the clothes in on your way out to pick up the kids, scoop them out of the dryer on your way back in.  At the same time, you get a Linty, Furry Car to protect against the elements and keep your car like new so the sun can't damage the paint job.  Every house should have one of these....

I agree with @Mary lou L. , it is a bit over priced for that area and because it is so inconsistent in the design.  California has many areas that are more expensive than some other states even if they are not in a big city.  What's that around the fireplace?  That just looks so weird!! lol.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you