If you could build, what would be your favorite floor plan

9 Replies

I love looking at floor plans and pictures!

What would be your go to plan if you could build?

Ive been to a couple of new homes and wow, its crazy how there may not be enough room to open a fridge door because of an island, or the door to the bathroom hits the toilet!  Things like that I think about if I were designing a place. Of course pricing is a factor, I've learned that different styles of roof are cheaper to build than others..but in the long run what kind of maintenance will it take.

I think too much..lol.

Do you have a favorite "If I could build this and rent" floor plan?

Something like this! Seriously though, as I now have kids an open floor plan from the kitchen into a living area is important as is natural light. The place we are in now has poor lighting and it drives me nuts. I also prefer to have laundry on the same floor as bedrooms and a mud room next to our regular entry point (usually a garage).

@Mary lou L. I'm open to all types of floor plans, just as long as there is room to operate. Just as you stated I hate when thing of that nature co-exist in an area. Doors hitting into each other, fridges being placed by table, etc. My perfect floor plan is one with a lot of space to maneuver. 

Originally posted by @Ryan Toth :

Something like this! Seriously though, as I now have kids an open floor plan from the kitchen into a living area is important as is natural light. The place we are in now has poor lighting and it drives me nuts. I also prefer to have laundry on the same floor as bedrooms and a mud room next to our regular entry point (usually a garage).

Boom! Done and done! NO nonsense! When do we start construction??

@Mary lou L. - just as different roof styles (and different roof pitches of the same style) are less expensive to build (over the same footprint), so too does the building shape affect the cost, along with the actual wall dimensions.  For example, a building that is 24' x 48' provides a footprint of 1,152 square feet as does a building that is 32' x 36'.  Yet the former building has eight more linear feet of wall, which, using a nominal eight-foot wall height, equates to 64 more square feet of wall (which is nearly 6% more than the latter building size).  That's 64 more square feet of framing, insulation, drywall, siding, paint, etc.

Also, dimensional lumber is produced in two-foot lengths and panel goods are four-foot wide... most efficient use of materials will use wall and floor dimensions that are equally divisible in these increments.

The boxes ain't always pretty, but they are more cost effective!

There are SO MANY things to consider when planning for, designing, and constructing a new house, especially if it is for an investment. This is why, especially if it is your first, you should hire an architect. Plan layout is a just part of it but a good architect will look at the big picture...zoning, setbacks, natural light, wind direction, building context, cost, etc...and pull it together into a wholistic vision in a step by step process.

As far as plans or layout, it should be reasonable for what to expect in your particular market

Contractors tend to make spaces too small and non functional to increase profit and or lack design knowledge.

I would build modern style... Less is more! Geothermal heating, sustainable, boxy but sleek, flat roofs, metal panels.... 3 car garage, 3800 sq ft or so..

Depends on where I lived, really. Certain housing types & floor plans are not conducive to certain areas. All things being equal, in a flat area with low levels of snow and medium levels of rain, I would build a ranch, side loading garage, master suite split from the other bedrooms. A ranch is also more usable to more people, so if you needed to sell, bring in an elderly parent, etc. it is not a major hassle. 

The style to some extent depends on where you live, you can deviate but don't think it will be easy to sell if you go too far from the local style. I  have lived in many different style homes and certain areas just demand certain spaces, you can't do without a mudroom here and basements are nice too. My most disliked floor plan is a center hall colonial.

Pet Peeves for floor plans:

Kitchens on the opposite side of the house from the driveway (who thought of that!), Bathrooms off the kitchen-sometimes you have to but try for some separation.

Stairs you can't get furniture up.

Bedrooms next to the main entry.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you