How To Find Owner

12 Replies

Any suggestions on how to find the owner of a vacant house.  I mail and google and check the tax records, door knock etc but does anyone recommend a site that can give accurate information.

I do not mind paying but just want a good site.  I know I will not find everyone.

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

Great question @Raina Wells I'm going through the same troubles in Houston! My advice would be to check the Zillow App, or get in touch with a realtor who has access to the MLS. I believe through the MLS the owner of the home can be found, but I'm not 100% sure. Hope that helps!

what is the legal status about house? Why is it vacant ? Is the oldest deceased? Is the house under water and foreclosure? A lot of folks wanna find the owner of a vacant house. But in my opinion you want to know why the house is vacant to begin with. Find out why the house is vacant so that you can get an idea as to what obstacles you have to overcome in getting the owner to sell to you. For example the house could have been in foreclosure for the last 5 years, which is it not uncommon in new jersey, and the owner thinks the bank took it already. Or maybe the owner just lost it to sheriff sale last week and it hasn't shown up in tax records yet . Therefore you searching for owner in tax records whose not the actual owner. Do your research and you will likely come across clues that point to where the owner or their heirs are currently residing. 

"The Last One"

Founder sold it to Trans Union several years ago after starting Accurint and selling it to Lexis Nexus

@Ibrahim Hughes is right. You really need to get the story. I suggest you determine if there's equity and other ways to monetize and profit from the opportunity.

I've reversed and acquired a mind-boggling number of vacant properties and you can find my PETIO format for free on BP if you search.

Thank you guys for the ideas.  The vacant house has the same address on the Tax Rolls so that rarely works.  I have heard of findtheseller.com but have never used it.

@Ibrahim Hughes  In texas you do not have to worry about a house being in foreclose for 5 years it only takes a few months.  Even if the home is in foreclosure process as long as they sell the house before the foreclosure date there should not be any issues.  The Title Company I use will find out the rest of the issues (liens, Title Issues etc) It is possible the owner has lost the property and it is not posted anywhere yet but usually that Tax records (mostly) in Texas they are pretty good about recording the deed as well.

Promotion
Sundae
Property Marketplace
Find Professionally Vetted Properties from Motivated Sellers
Eliminate the need to hunt for houses again. We bring your next investment opportunity to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you