Votes
Wilson Adams
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Convincing my spouse that REI is a potentially good idea

Wilson Adams
  • Nashville, TN
Posted May 24 2016, 15:58

My wife and I are very calculated people. Our families always encouraged us to save the way they were taught (savings, 401k/pension, IRA).

Looking ahead, I can see that we are both going to need some alternate forms income in order to successfully pay back our student loans, achieve financial freedom and live the lifestyle we want to live. We don't want to be billionaires one day, but we also cannot fathom living the way we do now. 

I've been looking towards investment avenues to circumvent this problem long term, which is how I eventually came across BP and REI in general. I'm hoping that one day I can strategically make my cash flow in such a way that student loans and job security are no longer a source of stress.

The problem I have is that any variation of the word 'invest' makes my wife think that a coin flip will lose us our entire life savings. No matter how I try to approach it with her, it ends up getting pushed to the side because the idea of 'playing with our money like that' stresses her out. 

I'm sure some of you have a similar situation. Anyone have any advice on how to make 'investing' seem less intimidating up front to their spouses?

Loading replies...