Wood Laminate Flooring for rental

10 Replies

We have a tri plex that we are hoping to close on in a week or so. Two of the units have carpet that will stay in for now. One unit needs the entire carpet replaced (except kitchen and bathroom which are linoleum ). We were really wanting to go with a wood laminate that could stand up to the traffic and abuse of a long term rental. I've heard a lot of people using certain products from Home Depot etc. We have a Lowes close to us and would prefer to use them in order to save an extra 45 minutes of drive time to a Home Depot. Any recommendations would be amazing!!

Type of floor?

Brand / Product type?

Should we seam at every room to help in future replacements?

Thanks in advance?

I stopped using wood laminate, the edges come up after a few years and it has to be replaced.  I now only use the allure vinyl flooring from home depot and think it is totally worth the drive. 

I would stick with VPF (Vinyl Plank Flooring).  If you choose to go with laminate make sure to get a 12mm or higher grade and keep plenty of extras.  Pic is of a rental where I took up all flooring and installed VPF in the entire home.  Home Depot carries both products but I would look for a local installer.  No need to seam at every room because you will only be replacing individual pieces when needed.

Thanks so much. I'm thinking Home Depot it is!!!

My sister-in-law had her husband install the smart core flooring from Lowe's and loves it.  I think it is comparable to the Allure Ultra that is better for areas with potential moisture (bathrooms, basements, etc).  We've also used Allure (regular) in rentals and another similar product from Sam's Club.  I don't think it has to be from Home Depot, just check to make sure it's a similar product and read the reviews.  Good luck!

@Garrett Diegel Thank you for asking this question and thanks to all who have answered. I'm looking for a durable flooring solution and I think Allure deserves me giving it a try in my next project.

Thanks @Pyrrha Rivers , I think the flooring is a little more expensive but worth it in the end. 

Are you talking about "wood look" laminate, or engineered wood? Lumber Liquidators occasionally has engineered wood flooring for about the same price as laminate.

We used the Lowes store brand Laminate in a low end unit to test it out. It failed our test at least to our standards. I mean it does the job in the Hood, but I would never put that stuff in any of our other units. Home Depot brand Laminate runs under a buck a foot and locks together much nicer. It's decent if you want a clean looking finish but not too fancy.

I installed laminate in my own home.  Huge mistake.  It's bubbling up at the edges in several spots after only about 2yrs, and we actually *try* to take care of it.  I can't imagine leaving the care of laminate floor to a tenant. 

I am putting Stain Master VPF from Lowe's in my duplex right now. It looks nice and will be much easier to maintain than laminate I think. Especially if it were to get wet for an extended period of time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here