How to know if water is separately metered.

4 Replies

Any indicators when walking past apartment buildings to see if the water is separately metered or do you just call the utilities company?  I enjoy driving for dollars sometimes and wasn't sure if there was a quick way to check.  

Thanks! 

Most big apartment building have all the meters inside a room in the basement, along with gas meters. talk to the manager or you can try calling the utility co. but sometimes they will not give out that information.

Promotion
MyRentSource
Property Management
#1 Turnkey Property Management Solution in Atlanta since 2006
Turnkey Solution with Tenant Guarantee, no up charges on repairs, extensive tenant screening...
Find Out More!

My experience is that if you find the meters on the outside they are individually metered. If you find nothing outside, chances are utilities aren't separated. The water departments are usually willing to let you know if they are separate or not but don't discuss more than that. WE Energies has been very helpful to me with investor questions. Be sure you are calling the business/lanlord line though. Calling the general customer service you get less answers. They've even given me ballpark quotes on bill amounts for properties I'm interested in. Don't be discouraged by what the tell you for figures though nenecessarily. I had a 5 unit building that was running up $900 per unit for gas and electric. When I got into the building I found out 3 vacant had thermostats turned to 90, and there were unused appliances plugged into the basement and running. 

Originally posted by @Corina Eufinger :

My experience is that if you find the meters on the outside they are individually metered. If you find nothing outside, chances are utilities aren't separated. The water departments are usually willing to let you know if they are separate or not but don't discuss more than that. WE Energies has been very helpful to me with investor questions. Be sure you are calling the business/lanlord line though. Calling the general customer service you get less answers. They've even given me ballpark quotes on bill amounts for properties I'm interested in. Don't be discouraged by what the tell you for figures though nenecessarily. I had a 5 unit building that was running up $900 per unit for gas and electric. When I got into the building I found out 3 vacant had thermostats turned to 90, and there were unused appliances plugged into the basement and running. 

Well then that place was just grossly mis-managed. Good find for you though.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you